• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

Request For Comments: My GUI

This topic is 4350 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hey all, Brief I'm developing a GUI, have been for a while, only recently did i get the early functionality fully working and so i would like your comments on what you think of it so far. Screenshot This is a screenshot of various windows. Code/Syntax This is the code that initialises the GUI and sets up the above window formation.
	pGuiController = new DXGController( DXGDevice( g_pd3dDevice ) );

pClearFrame = new DXGClearFrame(	DXG2DVector( 0, 0 ),
										DXG2DVector( 512, 512 ) );

pWindow1 = new DXGWindow(	DXGDevice( g_pd3dDevice ),
								DXG2DVector( 100, 100 ),
								DXG2DVector( 300, 300 ),
								D3DXVECTOR4( 0.0f, 0.0f, 0.0f, 0.4f ),
								D3DXVECTOR4( 0.0f, 0.2f, 0.2f, 0.6f ) );

pWindow2 = new DXGWindow(	DXGDevice( g_pd3dDevice ),
								DXG2DVector( 50, 75 ),
								DXG2DVector( 300, 425 ),
								D3DXVECTOR4( 0.0f, 1.0f, 0.0f, 0.4f ),
								D3DXVECTOR4( 0.0f, 0.4f, 0.2f, 0.2f ) );

pSubWindow1 = new DXGWindow(DXGDevice( g_pd3dDevice ),
								DXG2DVector( 0, 0 ),
								DXG2DVector( 70, 105 ),
								D3DXVECTOR4( 0.0f, 0.4f, 0.0f, 0.4f ),
								D3DXVECTOR4( 0.0f, 0.8f, 0.2f, 0.6f ) );

pSubWindow2 = new DXGWindow(DXGDevice( g_pd3dDevice ),
								DXG2DVector( 50, 14 ),
								DXG2DVector( 300, 275 ),
								D3DXVECTOR4( 0.0f, 0.0f, 0.4f, 0.0f ),
								D3DXVECTOR4( 0.0f, 0.2f, 0.8f, 0.2f ) );

pGuiController->SetRoot( pClearFrame );

pClearFrame->AddChild( pWindow1 );
	pClearFrame->AddChild( pWindow2 );

pWindow1->AddChild( pSubWindow1 );
	pWindow2->AddChild( pSubWindow2 );

Current Features The current capabilities of the GUI are: - Current controls: DXGBaseControl DXGBaseFrame DXGClearFrame DXGImage DXGWindow DXGLabel - Procedural Texture Generation - All of the textures used for those windows are procedurally generated. Any fades can be set and any border colours can be used. - All windows are clipped inside their parents. - All the windows are draggable. - When a control is interacted with it calls a handler function and passes information describing the interaction. To Be Included In the long run i intend to add all the controls available with other GUIs, buttons, list boxes, menus etc etc. I also intend to make the look and feel much more customisable. Now most of what i have done so far is trivial, but i hope you will agree that this is a pretty solid foundation for bigger and better things. I also hope that you will agree that the syntax for setting up the controls is easy to use. I was going to demo it with a video, but FRAPS uber-sizes things so i didn't bother. I would appreciate any comments and suggestions, i will also answer any questions. Thanks, Dave

Advertisement
Do post when you have more. I like the visual style you have so far, syntax is indeed clear I agree. I have some questions.

How is the positioning handled exactly? I'm not very good at converting vectors + coordinates to something visual mentally... In my gui (which is dead at the moment, maybe will do it again) I had each widget position made relative to it's parent, which defines a viewport so to speak for it's children.

About the interaction with controls, does it mean you register a callback with a certain control, function pointers? How do you deal with unregistering?

Will you provide some serialization and / or a designer tool, or more generally speaking what will be the scope of your gui?

Quote:
Original post by DeadXorAlive
Do post when you have more. I like the visual style you have so far, syntax is indeed clear I agree. I have some questions.

How is the positioning handled exactly? I'm not very good at converting vectors + coordinates to something visual mentally... In my gui (which is dead at the moment, maybe will do it again) I had each widget position made relative to it's parent, which defines a viewport so to speak for it's children.

About the interaction with controls, does it mean you register a callback with a certain control, function pointers? How do you deal with unregistering?

Will you provide some serialization and / or a designer tool, or more generally speaking what will be the scope of your gui?

Hi, thanks for the comments. I would like to state now that this GUI is more of a play around until i start my proper one. I am doing for my final year project at uni.

Position is in pixels and each control is an offset into its parent, relative to its parent.

Yes you do register a callback, unregistering is done through a function call. A function pointer is used.

For my final year project it is most likely to have a designing tool accompany it.

Dave

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!