HELP! Just joking ), Where do i start in my engine?

Started by
14 comments, last by GraphicsBas 17 years, 9 months ago
Ok this might seem a lil bit harsh but: WTF is a scene graph that you all know about and me, the noob, doesnt!? Isnt the Resource Mgr the same thing as a Memory Manager found at Enginuity?

If not, explain!!! Please? :)

From the name i can tell the Resource Mgr is the same as a memory mgr but for resources :p.

EDIT:: How do i choose a name... I am 17 :) and already have a company name: HiTech Inc.. Yeah!! I Pwn.
Advertisement
The scene graph is a way to organize your data, usually as a logical relationship though it's been used for all kinds of things that it isn't meant for, from what people say. More about scene graphs.

Don't get confused by Richard's "memory is your most important resource" line, when we talk about resource management in the context of video games we usually mean the loading, unloading, streaming, ... of game assets, such as textures, sprites, models, sounds, meshes, materials, ... Memory management on the other hand is something you will need all over the place, so it's one of the lower level functions (notice it's part of the Kernel in Enginuity's design)
Ok... Thanks lightbringer... You seriously bring enlightment :p... and the rest that helped me clear up the engine concept and design. You will all be seeing more of my questions. (evil laugh)

EDIT 1:
Awww, i can see the future questions already after reading those SceneGraph texts :) Am i not annoying?

EDIT 500: Holy crap making a game engine is so hard :(, the scene graph is the tuff mofo. It looked it was starting to look good with all that Engeiuity stuff, but that scene graph involves 50x more work than anything else :(.

EDIT INFINIT!: I am wondering, should i use someones free engine and make some tetris or should i stop slacking and get off to programming and forget about length?

[Edited by - chimera007 on June 27, 2006 9:16:44 PM]
Quote:Original post by chimera007
EDIT INFINIT!: I am wondering, should i use someones free engine and make some tetris or should i stop slacking and get off to programming and forget about length?

You're going to have to do the latter to even attempt the former.

As for the name of your engine, no one can dictate taste to you, but please choose something a little classy, even irreverant - rather than a proclamation of your own brilliance, something many young hobbiests indulge in.

Although I disagree with Endar when it comes to making your OS code and your Graphics API code mingle - I seperate mine into two different modules, which means that I could theoretically run my program (OpenGL, obviously, as Direct3D only works under Windows) in Linux as well as Windows. In fact, I have had to do this for uni this semester, and it worked like a charm.

However, it does require knowing a thing or two about conditional compilation, so perhaps you should write an engine first, and then refactor it later, once your skills are on par, ey? No shame in that, I think I've written this single graphics engine from scratch about 5 times - each time after learning about something I didn't know beforehand. One could call it an iterative learning process.

Hope that helps!
[ search: google ][ programming: msdn | boost | opengl ][ languages: nihongo ]
Great! I am gonna start in uni this August :)

Well, i guess i will have to type a lot this summer. I wanted to do a water powered car, but it will have to wait :(.

I was just wondering again... where do i initialize my graphics? Like Direct3DCreate9() or the OpenGL equivalent? I was thinking to initialize it in the renderer task, but is that optimal?

EDIT: I have been hearing about gamedeving courses like Game Institute and Guildhall, the others i dont or havent heard about. Are they actually good learning courses? I did download the initial course of Game Inst. C++ 1st module or whatever they call it, and it seems it is neewb code.
Quote:EDIT 500: Holy crap making a game engine is so hard :(, the scene graph is the tuff mofo. It looked it was starting to look good with all that Engeiuity stuff, but that scene graph involves 50x more work than anything else :(.

Implementing a scene graph isn't even the hardest part of creating an engine.

Also how much work it is to create a scenegraph really depends on what you really want it to do, what it needs to handle. And ofcourse what you will excactly use it for.

My point is, not every scenegraph is the same.

Quote:From the name i can tell the Resource Mgr is the same as a memory mgr but for resources :p.

Its a resonably different thing. The memory manager takes care of just allocating and deallocating memory. The resource manager allocated memory by using a memory manager and then loads a resource from I-don't-know-where into it. You can also use it to do stuff with the resource, like for instance with a texture manager create a normal map out of a bump map.

Quote:EDIT INFINIT!: I am wondering, should i use someones free engine and make some tetris or should i stop slacking and get off to programming and forget about length?

Well I found that looking at open source engines and "see how they did it" really helped me program my engine a lot better. My first engine was just some sort of clone of the Irrlicht engine. But it really helped me understand how an engines works. I suggest you do the same,.

Quote:EDIT:: How do i choose a name... I am 17 :) and already have a company name: HiTech Inc.. Yeah!! I Pwn.

First of all, why do you need a company name? Second, I believe HiTech allready excists.. And thirth HiTech, really isn't a very cool name in my oppinion.

Quote:Well, i guess i will have to type a lot this summer. I wanted to do a water powered car, but it will have to wait :(.

Damn, you really are an ambisious man.. :S Making an engine costs a lot of work and can be very hard. But I believe making a car that runs on hydrogen is even harder,.

Btw being 17 rocks ;].

GBS
GBS

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement