Managed DX for video intensive app?

Started by
1 comment, last by Dwiel 17 years, 9 months ago
Hey havn't been around the game programming scene for a while now but am getting back into it with a little video project. The main focus of this app will be to render lots of video clips (maybe 2 - 4 at a time at most) and apply various filters as well as computer generated 2d/3d content. I am worried that the playback of all of these videos will be a large bottleneck in this app. Due to the kind of things that I wish to do with this video, I was thinking that having the video as a texture would be the most useful/flexible. I have been looking around and it seems as if the easiest/fastest implementation of this is with Managed DirectX. Is this the case? If not, what library/implementation would you suggest? Keeping the video from skipping and such is a huge priority. I hope to be able to use this app as a live performance tool so the output needs to be very clean and professonal. (would rather be clean and have fewer effects than lots of effects with too much sipping and problems) Thanks!
Advertisement
I can't tell you much, being only a Managed programmer myself but you definitely need to go with C++ and DirectShow! ;) Managed = bugs galore, so stay well clear. And for rendering, yes you're right textures would probably be good. For this you'll need to use VMR9 (Video Mixing Renderer 9). Sorry I can't tell you any more specifics, but just ask if you have a few questions. HTH
Yeah I tried doing some stuff with the managed DirectX with the AudioVideoPlayback stuff and there is no way that it is going to be a pretty solution. It looks like I should pretty much stick to C++ and DirectShow like you suggested. I'm trying to get that working now, but am having a horrible time due to all of the deprications and dx versions not getting along with compiler versions etc.

Thanks for the help!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement