Color seems unsaturated compared to DirectX viewer

Started by
1 comment, last by rpreller 17 years, 10 months ago
Hey, I'm havin' a bit of a problem with what my D3D program is presenting in terms of color, and wondering if anyone has any quick solutions. Comparison Image This is a series of the same image under different rendering conditions. The one on the left is from DirectX Viewer. The next three are my own viewer with light intensity .8, .5, .2. The last is the texture that is being mapped to it, for reference. The problem is that the texture is faded out, it looks unsaturated in my own viewer. Decreasing the brightness of the directional light does not fix this. I am opening the same exact .x file as DirectX Viewer is. If there are any problems with anyone seeing the image ,let me know. Thanks.
Advertisement
I can't think of any particular reason why they'd be different short of any added (or removed) functionality in the code. Without much more detail its difficult to guess what that might be.

The source code to dxviewer is available in \Utilities\Source\DxViewer\ - so you can try poking around and see if its doing something obvious that you aren't. I'm pretty sure it'll be Default9.fx that controls rendering - in particular note that it uses all the material parameters. Depending on what the application sets these as it might result in a different colour to yours...

hth
Jack

<hr align="left" width="25%" />
Jack Hoxley <small>[</small><small> Forum FAQ | Revised FAQ | MVP Profile | Developer Journal ]</small>

Thanks for the reply. Yes, I figured it out. In DirectX Viewer, the effects file default9.fx does not use the specular component. I noticed this first when I was moving around my scene and the lighting would change substantially (as specular highlighting is affected by view orientation).

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement