• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

Amazing Curves Racing Beta 1.02: Public Server Up

This topic is 4257 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

[Download]Amazing Curves Racing Beta 1.02 Lots of changes for this release. Please let me know: 1. If you have any issues with installation or running the game. 2. If you have any issues with controlling the cars. 3. Please post your graphics card type, CPU speed, OS version, screen resolution, game graphics settings, and frame rate at the start of the game (and highest/lowest observed while playing). That's a lot of info: please post any that you have time for... 4. Please post what types of input devices you have tried: such as keyboard, XBox 360 controller, analog joypad, or driving wheel and let me know which you liked best and if you had any issues. 5. Try out the hardware 3D audio (HW3D driver setting) if you have a sound card with 3D audio acceleration. Please post how the game ran (frame rate) and how it sounded (2 speakers, headphones, etc.). You should be able to hear cars moving around your position in 3D. 6. If you have a 5.1-7.1 audio system: please post the type of gear and how the game sounded. You should hear cars moving all around you (with or without HW3D acceleration). 7. Give online play a try: there should be no visible lag at 300ms or less ping. You should be able to bump into / interact with other cars as if the other cars were not networked. If no servers are up, PM or email me and I'll set up a server session. 8. Sim racers / hardcore gamers: what do you think of the driving model? Physics interaction? [Edited by - John Schultz on June 25, 2006 11:03:19 PM]

Advertisement
I have set up public test server for network play. After downloading and installing the game, press Join, and the "Brightland" server should be visible and available to join. Please let me know if you have any issues joining or playing. Press F2 while playing online: your ping will be shown. There should be no noticeable lag for pings below 300ms.

If you have the time, please post your location and what your ping(s) were as well as your online play experience.

Thanks!

John

I don't have time to download at the moment (have to run to the airport), but the screenie looks nice!

Hey John,

I got a chance to play the game online for a little while, and I must say it's very impressive.

Curved surfaces, multiplayer, robust networked physics...sounds good to me. I'm very impressed at how stable everything was, and how many AI cars could be interacted with over the network.

It really was, as you claim, "seamless"...it played just as if everything was local, and not networked.

- I had an 80 ping, and I'm located in NC.
- ~28-38 FPS on a P4 2.8GHZ, X700, 1 GIG RAM, XP.
- Maxed out terrain detail, and at 1280x1024 (I think).
- 5.1 surround
- Played on keyboard (I actually thought the controls were easy, compared to some racing games with keyboard support).

One adjustment - I'd make the Z06 engine sound more throaty. It's a beast, make it sound like one :-D

I enjoyed the vehicle handling...very arcade-ish, and easy to pick up and play [even on keyboard]. The burnouts/spinouts handle well. With more testing/tweaking you'll have it nailed down.

Damn fine work, I'll be awaiting future versions.

- Dan

Quote:
Original post by dgreen02
One adjustment - I'd make the Z06 engine sound more throaty. It's a beast, make it sound like one :-D

My 2002 Z06 had an X-pipe installed, which makes the engine sound smoother, and more daily-driveable. I don't have the time/resources to re-record, re-loop, and re-mix the engine sounds for this initial version of the game. I might be able to beef up the current samples. You mentioned 5.1; on my 5.1/7.1 test system, the center channel sounds kind of weak (using FMODEx), I'll see what I can do to get the engine sounds coming out of more than the center channel (sounds decent with a 2 channel stereo setup). The current version uses the stock Z06 gear ratios; I'll likely change the ratios to better match the power-to-weight ratio and engine characteristics of the game (taller first gear, and optimized spacing, with much closer 5-6 ratios; stock 6th gear allows super low RPM's for freeway mileage; not needed for a game [wink]. I'll set 6th to top out around 200MPH; 300+MPH isn't needed for the current tracks).

Quote:
I enjoyed the vehicle handling...very arcade-ish, and easy to pick up and play [even on keyboard]. The burnouts/spinouts handle well. With more testing/tweaking you'll have it nailed down.

Currently a flexible, physics-based tire simulation is used (not a slip model). In order to help make it easier to drive (more arcade-like), I allow more combined grip than a real tire would allow. This makes the car behave as if though Active Handling (Z06) or PSM (Porsche) is enabled. It will still need a little tweaking to make even easier to drive (will probably add a driving aid option, which can be turned off). Currently, high-speed four-wheel drifts can be achieved and controlled, without driving aids or additional 'cheater physics' (aided by very high downforce provided by a CFD model; note how far the car glides when catching big air; the car pitches and produces lift briefly (but does not flip [wink])).

Quote:
Damn fine work, I'll be awaiting future versions.

Thanks Dan! If you have a dual analog joypad lying around,it should be even easier to drive/play, especially at high speed. I also test with a Logitech Momo wheel and pedals (drives well, profile included).

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement