Game Server

Started by
7 comments, last by Rhalin 17 years, 9 months ago
Ok im looking for some resources or somone to point me in the right direction. Im working on a program for college. That is compatable with any gamespy compatible game. It's going to work like a chat server kind of like gamespy arcade. But im kind of confused on the part to get the two machines to launch the game and report the win loss back to me. Maybee Even other stats. Im sure with some games like Swat 4 i could make a mod to do something like that for me. But i havent had any luck so far searching. P.S Sorry Not sure if this should be in the newbie section or not. I know quite a bit about network secruity thats the current diploma im working for is based on. Cyber Secruity/Criminology [Edited by - Satanstheory on June 25, 2006 6:27:52 AM]
Advertisement
Well, not all GameSpy-compatible games use the same scoring method, so without custom code for most of these games, it may be impossible anyway.

One thing you could try is asking the servers for their status periodically while the game is in play. Some games will report to you player names and scores, and if you know the player names you're interested in, you could grab those.
Well what im looking to code is a chat room that words exactly like game spy. But with stats or say who wins or looses a match. Just for testing purposes. Would i have to reverse enginear gamespy. Im not sure if it just works off a certain port and im still not sure what to program it in ethier C++ or VB 6, i have more expirence in VB but from what i see thiers more of a carrear field in C++.

Do you have any refrences sites that could get me started on this project.
sorry for diverting the flow of discussion, but what a heck is Gamespy compatable game? what does it take to make a game Gamespy compatable?
Gamespy is more or less a server for multiple games to play online. You log onto gamespy and join your room blah blah find your game and the player you want to play against then it launches the game .
I think your biggest challenge right now is just to discover who won or lost a match. Forget all aspects of chat, interface, everything, just work on how to extract a score from a game. It's by far the most difficult part of this project.
Well im sure in most games online a packet is sent to computer 1 saying you lost and computer 2 saying you won so if i can intercept that packet before it reaches computer 1 and computer 2 by using the software as a server. As such

Computer 1 > software connects to game > Game>
Then when recieveing all packets would go through the software before they reached computed 1
ANy suggestions?
Quote:Original post by Satanstheory
Well im sure in most games online a packet is sent to computer 1 saying you lost and computer 2 saying you won so if i can intercept that packet before it reaches computer 1 and computer 2 by using the software as a server. As such

Computer 1 > software connects to game > Game>
Then when recieveing all packets would go through the software before they reached computed 1

Assuming this is true just for hypothetical purposes, what your going to run into is that the networking protocol for games is going to be different among them. That is, the "win" or "lose" packet won't always be the same set of data, so you will still have to end up writing code specific to each game you want to support.

Chances are, if gamespy doesn't do this, all they're doing is launching games with a few command line parameters to have it jump into a network game with certain IP addresses (gathered by connecting to gamespy).

In short, this isn't going to be easily do-able without a lot of hacking for each game.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement