• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
wind19

OpenGL about tree??

This topic is 4526 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I want to draw a tree using opengl,but don't know how to start,who can help me,give me a demo to study?

Advertisement
Can you be more specific? A rendered tree could be:

- A single axial billboard with an alpha-blended texture, or...
- A procedurally generated set of line segments, or...
- A procedurally generated textured mesh, or...
- A model created in a modeling program, or...
- A bunch of GLU cylinders stuck together, or...

Anyway, you get the idea; tell us what you have in mind, and someone can probably point you in the right direction.

Usually you start by modelling a low-poly tree in a 3d modeling program of your choice. You most likely don't want to manually render something as complex as a tree. Instead you would create a model, load the geometry data from a file and feed this data to your renderer.

If you don't want to actually model a tree, you can also generate one by using a functional model, i.e. an L-system.

HTH,
Pat.

If anyone has a demo,please send it to me.And thank you very much.My email is commonzhf@163.com

When I build it ,there is a error:fatal error C1083: Cannot open include file: 'irrlicht.h': No such file or directory.why? and what can I do?

Quote:
Original post by wind19
When I build it ,there is a error:fatal error C1083: Cannot open include file: 'irrlicht.h': No such file or directory.why? and what can I do?

The source file provided is intended for use with the Irrlicht engine. The previous poster intended for you to read the source code and pick out the parts that you would need to draw a tree, rather than just rip it off and build it in your game.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!