• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
rnyth

Isometric Problems

This topic is 4438 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi, I've been trying to make an Isometric RPG for about a week now, and with all of the thought I've put into it, this just now hit me. The way i'm doing this is using 84x43 diamond-shaped images/masks and blitting them onto a picturebox. I ran into a huge problem however, the setup of the tiles. If I make a square type shape with them, then it's too confusing to set anything up (buildings, pathways, ect.) for the map files. However, when I rearranged them to make a diamond, the map making is extremely easy, but the map becomes huge, with alot of useless space where there would be black areas had I let the user scroll over too far. The usable space is also quite a bit smaller this way. So it finally hit me, would it be more practical to just use square tiles and keep the buildings ect isometric? How does/would everyone else approach this? Sorry if this doesn't make much sense, I'm thoroughly confused at the moment with too little sleep and too much coding. Thanks for your input in advance!

Advertisement
faced with that same problem i did try simplifying movement by making squares with a x through them, basicly square tiles but insted of making the entire tile walkable or non walkable you could indavidaly choose one of the 4 triangles the x formed as wlkable or non-walkable, if you want characters to move without being locked to a tile this makes movement a lot easyer

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!