• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

Installing DX8 SDK on PC with DX9 runtime

This topic is 4264 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi there, I'm planning to start learning DirectX soon and downloaded the old DirectX8.1 SDK. My PC already had DirectX 9.0c runtime installed. So after installing the 8.1 SDK, the DirectX Control Panel refused to work, stating: "This control panel is older than the DirectX install. The control panel will now exit." Without the control panel, I won't be able to switch between Debug and Retail version. Is there any solution to this (other than downgrading my current runtime)? I've tried searching, but couldn't find anything related. Thanks! [smile] The reasons I'm using old DirectX8.1 SDK are: - PC running on Win2K and the newer DX9 SDKs doesn't support it anymore (and wasn't sure which last DX9 release supported Win2K). - Not planning on touching any advance shader stuff anytime soon (don't have a pixel shader capable card) - Found some nice beginner tutorials on DX8, which I think should help me get started on DirectX

Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement