• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
warp X

How to make a 3D game?

This topic is 4433 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I'm now soon finishing up my first 2D game, and next I would like to make a game in 3D. How should I approach this matter? I don't want to make my own 3D engine as it would take too much time. -Should I first make a mod for some engine like the CryEngine or the Steam engine? -Or, should I buy a licence for a 3D engine like the Torque engine? -How about using an open source engine? Can you make a different game if you make a mod? I mean, to make an RTS game using an engine designed for FPS? Like making a Total-Annihilation-like game using CryEngine? Or is modding just about changing some models, textures, properties, etc?

Advertisement
what seems to make sense to me is:
- mod of existing game
- then use an open source engine
(buying a torque engine or anything like that is not necessary)

Quote:
Original post by warp X
I'm now soon finishing up my first 2D game, and next I would like to make a game in 3D. How should I approach this matter? I don't want to make my own 3D engine as it would take too much time.
-Should I first make a mod for some engine like the CryEngine or the Steam engine?
-Or, should I buy a licence for a 3D engine like the Torque engine?
-How about using an open source engine?

If you want to get into 3d, and you've already made a 2d game, you should use an open source engine. It's better than paying for torque, and once you get everything figured out, and you think you'd be willing to spend the money, then you can get torque after. The only thing you have to lose is time, and you'll get a lot of experience that you'll be able to use.

Quote:
Original post by warp X
Can you make a different game if you make a mod? I mean, to make an RTS game using an engine designed for FPS? Like making a Total-Annihilation-like game using CryEngine? Or is modding just about changing some models, textures, properties, etc?

It is different with every game. I believe that the source SDK for half life 2 gives you enough control over everything to be able to change the camera and all the game rules. But, there are other games which only allow you to say, add new items. Like the Sims. You can add new items, but you can't turn it into an FPS. Although .... [grin]

Thank you for your answers!

I have still a question:
-Where could I find information on which engine to mod for or which open source engine to use, or do I need to check everything myself? Any good threads here etc? Recommendations?

google these.....Torque Game Engine,its a cheap commercial engine
heres some free source... Crystal Space,panda3d,reality factor,Axiom,OpenSceneGraph,OGRE....good luck

Thanks! I'm gonna need some luck to get the right information and make the right decisions!
First though, I have to showcase my 2D game and hear what people have to say about the design to get some perspective into my work...

if youre new to 3d i recommend irrlicht, its not nearly as complex to get started with as ogre, and it complex enough if youre not very good.

Modding is usually very game-specific and will not get you a lot of programming experience.

At least i think so. Also be awere that 3d is something completely different in terms of maths and complexity. Both it's of course cool also so go for it!
Erik

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!