• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
vman

I wanna buy some books..

This topic is 4433 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi ,all. Im about to buy some books about game development , but i have no idea what to buy. Im looking something like this : 1) A book about math & physics used in game -book #1 2) OpenGl tutorials (in c++) -book #2 3) A book that explains how game engine works -book #3 4) Some advanced c++ tutorials. -book #4 5) And how to code an rpg in opengl -book #5 Any ideas ? ( i just need the titles, so i can order them) thanks

Advertisement
Have you looked at the books-section here on GameDev? If you haven't, that might be a good starting point. Sorry if this isn't much help, I haven't got any books I can recommend.

Thinking in C++ Vol 1 & 2 (Free ebooks)
Effective C++
More Effective C++
Design Patterns: Elements of Reusable Object Orientated Software
Pragmatic Programmer *
Code Complete *
Game Coding Complete 2nd Edition
Game Programming Gems

I can't help on the graphics side I am afraid.

* Not games related but very useful books on general programming practises. Worth a read.

[Edited by - yaustar on June 25, 2006 1:43:51 PM]

Okay thanks for the suggestions.
Also , i'll take a look at the books section...

I don't know if you're really keen on using OpenGL, but there is a book called

"Programming role playing games for DirectX"

It also explains how a game engine works (you're writing one yourself)

And what is 'advanced' c++?

~ Stenny

For an advanced book on c++, I would recommend The C++ Programming Language. It's written by Bjarne Stroustup, the guy who created C++. I would recommend picking up another c++ before hand, but if you want to learn c++ well you should definitely get it, read it and reread it.

Quote:
Original post by caseyd
For an advanced book on c++, I would recommend The C++ Programming Language. It's written by Bjarne Stroustup, the guy who created C++. I would recommend picking up another c++ before hand, but if you want to learn c++ well you should definitely get it, read it and reread it.
The C++ Programming Language is an excellent book, however, it's better as a reference than a learning book.

What about "c++ from the ground up 3rd edition"
It teaches the entire c++ language (and SDL)
It was written by Herbert Schildt.
He was one of the guys who standardized c++

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!