I wanna buy some books..

Started by
7 comments, last by bxela1 17 years, 10 months ago
Hi ,all. Im about to buy some books about game development , but i have no idea what to buy. Im looking something like this : 1) A book about math & physics used in game -book #1 2) OpenGl tutorials (in c++) -book #2 3) A book that explains how game engine works -book #3 4) Some advanced c++ tutorials. -book #4 5) And how to code an rpg in opengl -book #5 Any ideas ? ( i just need the titles, so i can order them) thanks
Advertisement
Have you looked at the books-section here on GameDev? If you haven't, that might be a good starting point. Sorry if this isn't much help, I haven't got any books I can recommend.
Thinking in C++ Vol 1 & 2 (Free ebooks)
Effective C++
More Effective C++
Design Patterns: Elements of Reusable Object Orientated Software
Pragmatic Programmer *
Code Complete *
Game Coding Complete 2nd Edition
Game Programming Gems

I can't help on the graphics side I am afraid.

* Not games related but very useful books on general programming practises. Worth a read.

[Edited by - yaustar on June 25, 2006 1:43:51 PM]

Steven Yau
[Blog] [Portfolio]

Okay thanks for the suggestions.
Also , i'll take a look at the books section...
I don't know if you're really keen on using OpenGL, but there is a book called

"Programming role playing games for DirectX"

It also explains how a game engine works (you're writing one yourself)

And what is 'advanced' c++?

~ Stenny
What do I expect? A young man's quest to defeat an evil sorceror while discovering the truth of his origins. A plucky youngster attended by her brutish guardian. A powerful artifact which has been broken into a small number of artifactlets distributed around the world.What do I want? Fewer damn cliches. - Sneftel
For an advanced book on c++, I would recommend The C++ Programming Language. It's written by Bjarne Stroustup, the guy who created C++. I would recommend picking up another c++ before hand, but if you want to learn c++ well you should definitely get it, read it and reread it.
These are my typical recommendations for math/graphics books (they are largely API agnostic, which is generally better as far as fostering understanding of what's actually going on):

"The Geometry Toolbox"

"Essential Mathematics for Games and Interactive Applications: A Programmers Guide"

"Fundamentals of Computer Graphics"
Quote:Original post by caseyd
For an advanced book on c++, I would recommend The C++ Programming Language. It's written by Bjarne Stroustup, the guy who created C++. I would recommend picking up another c++ before hand, but if you want to learn c++ well you should definitely get it, read it and reread it.
The C++ Programming Language is an excellent book, however, it's better as a reference than a learning book.

F-R-E-D F-R-E-D-B-U-R...G-E-R! - Yes!
What about "c++ from the ground up 3rd edition"
It teaches the entire c++ language (and SDL)
It was written by Herbert Schildt.
He was one of the guys who standardized c++
##########################################################You'll have time to rest when you're dead - Robert De Niro

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement