Game idea number 2

Started by
10 comments, last by Bear777 17 years, 10 months ago
Ok, since my previous game idea was a bad idea, I'm coming up with a new one. Like, if you ever played one of the Total War games and one of the Heroes of Might and Magic games, how would those 2 styles mix up? I'd like to hear your point of view on this, Bear.
Advertisement
Mix up how? That's not really a game idea you've got there, it's two existing ideas and the vague idea of mixing them together.

Be more specific; which elements from each game do you think were good, and how will you mix them together? How will including these elements from different games produce a game that's better overall? Come up with more details, and really think about how it will play. If you want to generate some discussion, get us excited about the idea!

- Jason Astle-Adams

Well, the only thing I don't like about the HOMM series, is the boring tbs system, and the fact that a 1000 units are represented by 1.. unit. I'd like the fantasy of the HOMM series mixed up with the battles of the Total War series.. Imagine a dragon flying over a horde of goblins, or something.
I still don't see it...

HOMM _is_ HOMM, mostly because of the Turn based system :P. And mixing the bit left over into Total war doesn't really sound all that good.

Though a simple 'Fantasy' version of total war, mabye could work, I guess. A dragon flying around, etc etc, does sound good, but then you've just another Lord of the rings game, or Age of Mith, or Warcraft III, (all without the real time building part), etc etc.

I dunno, Total War and MM just don't mesh well together IMO.
Yeah, but those games don't have huge battles like the total war series.
Alright, so things you want:
- Realtime gameplay
- 'Huge' battles
- Fantasy setting

That's all well and good, but by itself we still don't have much of a game yet, do we?

Will there be various sides available? Will these sides differ in gameplay or require different tactics at all, or will they simply have a different appearance?

What's the objective of the game? Are we just trying to wipe out the opposition? Is there anything else to it? Are there neutral units on the map that might make things more interesting?

Is there anything else that makes it different from either (or both) of those two games, or games in general? What? How will it work?

- Jason Astle-Adams

I'm not sure how many sides there will be.. It could be just good vs. bad (maybe human vs. goblins), or more like HOMM, with several races (I'd like to hear other people's point of view on that). Either way, there's going to be difference in tactics for sure, like the evil race(s) might do better if they take advantage of the good races fear.

I think there should be neutral units, since that's what really makes the HOMM games fun from the start.

The thing that makes this game different from others, is just that there's no other game like it. Realtime epic fantasy battles, RTS style, with (tens of) thousands of units. I don't believe i've seen that before.

Sorry that I'm bad at explaining my idea, but I think questions can solve that. But anyway, what do you guys think of the idea so far?
Quote:Original post by Bear777
Well, the only thing I don't like about the HOMM series, is the boring tbs system, and the fact that a 1000 units are represented by 1.. unit. I'd like the fantasy of the HOMM series mixed up with the battles of the Total War series.. Imagine a dragon flying over a horde of goblins, or something.

So Total War in a fantasy setting is what you're saying?

Or is there something in the Total War *gameplay* you'd want to change?

Quote:
The thing that makes this game different from others, is just that there's no other game like it

Um, yep, the thing that makes this game unique is that it's unique! Spot on! [lol]
Age of Mythology and Warcraft 3 are nothing like Total War, of course, but I think the Battle for Middle Earth game that Johnny123 mentioned has a comparable number of units on screen, right?

Fantasy: Total War sounds interesting though. Maybe put a dark spin on it, something like Westeros or a modern version of Warhammer:SOTHR (good luck getting the licenses though). Otherwise it's just Tolkien all over again.

Interestingly enough there's also a sci-fi clone of Total War around (called Space: Absolute War, I think) but as of yet it still seems to be missing the most important part - tactical combat.

Re what we thing so far: there's not much of an idea to go on yet. Also, I agree that the Total War strategy component is just fine, and that it wouldn't mix well with the HOMM strategy component - you can't have 10,000 troops move realistically through a small forest clearing that has space for two people max, nor can such a small scale map sustain the kind of numbers of neutral enemies that would be necessary to make combat remotely interesting - they will eat the place bare in a week or two. We need to hear more specifics about what exactly from HOMM you want to integrate into Total War, and how.
Quote:Original post by lightbringer
Age of Mythology and Warcraft 3 are nothing like Total War, of course, but I think the Battle for Middle Earth game that Johnny123 mentioned has a comparable number of units on screen, right?

Well, it comes closer than other games, but it's far from comparable. 1000 units would be very much for BFME, 100,000 units is pretty normal in a big Total War battle.

Quote:
Fantasy: Total War sounds interesting though. Maybe put a dark spin on it, something like Westeros or a modern version of Warhammer:SOTHR (good luck getting the licenses though). Otherwise it's just Tolkien all over again.

I think I'm heading for something original.

Quote:
Re what we thing so far: there's not much of an idea to go on yet. Also, I agree that the Total War strategy component is just fine, and that it wouldn't mix well with the HOMM strategy component - you can't have 10,000 troops move realistically through a small forest clearing that has space for two people max, nor can such a small scale map sustain the kind of numbers of neutral enemies that would be necessary to make combat remotely interesting - they will eat the place bare in a week or two. We need to hear more specifics about what exactly from HOMM you want to integrate into Total War, and how.

Well, it's basically what Spoonbender said, Total War in a fantasy setting. Though still, there are things I like about HOMM that could fit in as well besides the setting, though I'm still thinking about that.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement