• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
sliceanddice

Modding Good For Growth? (Diablo and D2)

This topic is 4433 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I was thinking about trying modding for Diablo or Diablo 2. It not illegal, and figure what I got to lose. I was wondering if anyone knew of a good modding utility for either diablo or diablo 2. You can get all these utilities, but their sorta confusing. I know this will defidently reinforce my hexing background, and I guess give me some insite into how games are made "the macho man way :P". .... Thanks for your help.... slice

Advertisement
In response to your title, modding is usually good, but there's a different between "game modding" and "game hacking". What you'd be doing with D1 and D2 would be more "game hacking" and would not really contribute anything for your programming experiences. It is a mostly, "use this tool to make these changes" and that's about it. (I've been there done that a long time ago). There is not much to learn though modding those games really, so I'd suggest something else.

Take a look into Half-Life or Unreal Tournament for real "game modding", where you can make new weapons, functionality, etc... Doing this would be a lot better for you rather than what you'd get out of D1/D2, which won't be much. In general, I think you'd be better off with any game that has a scripting language to work with, rather than having to go though game files using 3rd party tools. They work, but all you end up learning is how to use those tools, nothing else.

Good luck!

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!