• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
tymk

approach to gameworld/ level design in Direct3D

This topic is 4525 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I am designing my first project, Direct3D, Blender, and am interested in a fast-paced tunnel kind of level, where forward motion is fast, constant and uncontrollable. Antagonists, obstacles and possibly forks in the road hurl toward the protagonist... roller coaster, waterslide, bobsled as examples of the concept of the world. I am looking for ideas on the approach to implement this kind of thing and any links to articles, discussion threads, tutorials, samples that could help. the plan is for a single such level and these are my initial thoughts. 1) design the entire world as a big mesh of winding tubes and run the camera through from start to finish, adding objects/antagonists where desired? - seamless, directx takes care of most of the world since it is all provided in the mesh, but if additional levels are to be designed, an entire new mesh needs to be created. 2) design individual, repeatable segments of the tunnel, map them in a level file and create them (and obstacles/antagonists) when necessary, moving them toward the camera. using scripting? good for possibility of new levels, just create a new map file or simple level-designer but more coding to make sure the pieces all fit together nicely and i am not sure how to script this. Please offer your opinion and experience. Thanks, tymk

Advertisement
So, do you want to fix the player to a specific path, or do you want him to be able to move about the screen, while moving through the level at a constant rate?

I think the player will have at least limited movement around the screen while moving through the level at a constant rate.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!