• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Extrakun

[MDX] Curious about XNA...if there is no D3DX...

This topic is 4501 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

...then is there an easy way to load mesh, pick objects, load textures and all that in an easy manner? Are any such library being considered, or is it expected that developers shall do all that from ground up? Thanks in advance!

Advertisement
The D3DX functions are integrated in the MDX library. There is no extra library necessary. Not sure if this will changed for XNA.

Just to nit-pick... you're referring to XNA Framework as the successor to MDX2 - the general "XNA" refers to several other projects [smile]

Quote:
Original post by Demirug
The D3DX functions are integrated in the MDX library. There is no extra library necessary. Not sure if this will changed for XNA.
This MSDN blog seems to suggest that D3DX will be changing:
Quote:
D3DX. Ah what happens to D3DX? This is a toughie. D3DX contains useful functionality that in a strict .NET namespace way is all over the place. To complicate matters further, a lot of functionality on D3DX doesn’t exist on the Xbox 360 today.
Although, I wouldn't read that as indicating that D3DX is being removed as such... just that its not likely to appear in the same form as it does today.

Unless theres some newer information on XNA Framework I haven't spotted yet?

Jack

As far as the managed part of XNA, I've read somewhere that it shouldn't be expected to be very different from MDX2.

If this were the case, D3DX wouldn't be a seperate namespace, but all the D3DX functionality will still be there (in the Direct3D namespace).

I'll look for a link and edit this if I find one :).

Well, not exactly as I remembered it, but pretty close :)

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!