Console Emulators and Roms & Console Developing Sites

Started by
5 comments, last by rodneyldixon 23 years, 1 month ago
Is there anyway that I could use any kind of Borland/Inprise Developing Tool to create emulators and roms for the following: Arcade: Yes or No Gameboy: Yes or No Gameboy Advanced: Yes or No Nintendo: Yes or No Super Nintendo: Yes or No Sega Game Gear: Yes or No Sega Genesis: Yes or No Sega Master System: Yes or No Sega Saturn: Yes or No Sega Dreamcast: Yes or No Nintendo 64: Yes or No Playstation: Yes or No Playstation 2: Yes or No The reason I want to know is because I really like console systems, and pc games. Also, because I would like to design the emulators my way and create roms the way I want them to be, using my ideas. Because every since I got my new computer, and put console systems and roms on it, I loved it. But the only problem that I hated about it was, that the emulators weren''t the way I wanted them to be. So that''s why I would like to know the answer to my above question. Now for my other question, where can I find a console developing site besides www.consoledev.com?
Advertisement
Yes you can make Eumlators for all of them but the roms i dont know. all a Emulater is is a Programe that can read a Rom in and run the programe that is has in it.
its more or less a Script.

but the roms i dotn really know..
hope that helps a bit

-VBLimits
Sorry about the Spelling..
www.VBLimits.com
-VBLimitsSorry about the Spelling..
Back for another round of broad-ranging questions, rodney?

If an emulator is emulating your favourite console and is not the way you want it to be, is that implying that your favourite console is not the way you want it to be?

You can make emulators in whatever language you want. In order to make an emulator you need intimate knowledge of the desired system. Not only what it looks like, what plugs into it and how many polys the marketing blurb says the machine can do, but you need to be familiar with the CPU and its instruction set. You need to know how many and what type of co-processors it may have and if so, their instruction sets. You need to know the format of the graphics and sound files. How to handle input devices and any other other peripherals the system may be able to use. What format is the data in the roms or CDs stored? Once you know all this, then you can start to make your emulator in whatever development environment you want.

In order to make roms or CDs, you need to have a development environment for the target platform. These usually use C, C++ or assembly and have specific libraries designed solely for the target system. Hence you cannot use Delphi or C++ Builder to create roms for consoles. Most development systems are proprietary and are only available from the hardware manufacturer for a quite hefty fee. Development systems for the more recent consoles contain specialized console hardware to assist in development.

Take a look at http://www.hitmen-console.org/ for more information in reverse engineering consoles.

Steve ''Sly'' Williams  Code Monkey  Krome Studios
Steve 'Sly' Williams  Monkey Wrangler  Krome Studios
turbo game development with Borland compilers
You can build an emulator with each programming
language you want - like sly said.
ROMs are the disk operating systems of the disired systems.
You do not create them, you must copy them from the original
system. Your software emulates the hardware of the system.
This means you MUST need a big know how about
the build in hardware of the system you want to emulate.
There are different source codes for CPU emulation in the
net. I am sure you will find some.

I am also having done an emulator of the good old commodore64
in delphi/delphiX - not finished but works well...

Harald Sefzig
Developer
www.alien.at
[email=alien@xpoint.at]Harald Sefzig[/email]Developerwww.alien.at
From what I''ve read, it is possible to code roms. (They had to be made for the consoles somehow.) Unfortunately, the only refrences I''ve found are for coding roms in assembly. I''m sure it''s possible, and I myself am looking into this very thing. Maybe I''ll get lucky and find a tutorial on coding console systems using C/C++ or Delphi. If I do, I''ll be sure to post a link.

BTW. I think SNES9X (Super NES Emu) was coded using Borland C++ Builder. Don''t quote me on that
DracosX:Master of the General Protection Fault
There are more than a couple emulators written in Delphi. Check out the Thursday, June 08, 2000 news at this link...

http://turbo.gamedev.net/2000_06_04_issue.asp

There is also source for another NES emulator here...

http://turbo.gamedev.net/wnnes006.zip
http://turbo.gamedev.net/wnessrc.zip

[ Michael Wilson | turbo sys-op | turbo.gamedev.net ]
[ Michael Wilson | turbo sys-op | turbo.gamedev.net ]
quote:Original post by DracosX

From what I''ve read, it is possible to code roms. (They had to be made for the consoles somehow.) Unfortunately, the only refrences I''ve found are for coding roms in assembly. I''m sure it''s possible, and I myself am looking into this very thing. Maybe I''ll get lucky and find a tutorial on coding console systems using C/C++ or Delphi. If I do, I''ll be sure to post a link.

BTW. I think SNES9X (Super NES Emu) was coded using Borland C++ Builder. Don''t quote me on that

Here we have Dreamcast, Gameboy and Playstation 2 development kits. Playstation 2 has its own C/C++ compiler. Gameboy is done in Z80-like assembly. Dreamcast is done in Visual C++ with Dreamcast-specific libs. There is unfortunately zero chance that Delphi or C++ Builder could be used to develop software (roms) for these machines.

The emulators though, are entirely up to you and what you want to use.

Steve ''Sly'' Williams  Code Monkey  Krome Studios
Steve 'Sly' Williams  Monkey Wrangler  Krome Studios
turbo game development with Borland compilers

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement