• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

C++ Polymorphism and Returning by Reference

This topic is 4348 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi all, Since it's pretty straighfoward here's the code:
class A {
public:
  A() { }
  virtual ~A() {}
  virtual void Show() 
  {
    cout << "A Shows" << endl;
  }
};

class B : public A {
public:
  B() { }
  virtual ~B() { }
  void Show() 
  {
    cout << "B Shows" << endl;
  }
};

class C {
private:
  B b;

public:
  C() { }

// Returning by pointer
  A* GetB()
  {
    return &b;
  }
  // Returning by reference
  const A& GetA() const
  {
    return b;
  }
};

void main()
{
	C c;
	A* b = c.GetB();
	A a = c.GetA();
	b->Show();  // Prints: "B Shows"
	a.Show();   // Prints: "A Shows"
}

Quote:
From MSDN A virtual function is a member function that you expect to be redefined in derived classes. When you refer to a derived class object using a pointer or a reference to the base class, you can call a virtual function for that object and execute the derived class's version of the function.
So, what i'm doing wrong? I'm expecting both method to print out "B Shows", i think i should be right after reading MSDN! Thanks in advance, Jonathan

Advertisement
A a = c.GetA();
Should be:
A& a = c.GetA();

Otherwise you're creating a copy of an A class, not a reference or pointer to an A that's actually a B.

Thanks Evil Steve,

I got another question,
Quote:
In class C
const A& GetA() const
{
return b;
}

I've remove both const for this to work, can you explain me what both stands for? The first one probably means the return value cannot be changed, but the second?

Thanks,
Jonathan

Quote:
Original post by LowRad
Thanks Evil Steve,

I got another question,
Quote:
In class C
const A& GetA() const
{
return b;
}

I've remove both const for this to work, can you explain me what both stands for? The first one probably means the return value cannot be changed, but the second?

Thanks,
Jonathan

The second const means that the function do not change anything in the object.

BTW,
const A& a = c.GetA();
would have worked.

Regards,

Quote:
Original post by LowRad

The second means the function doesn't change any members and so is const safe. If you wanted to use your orginal function you could have just done

const A& a = c.GetA();

Edit:
Im too slow, also if your going to use the const version you need to make void Show() const safe -

virtual void Show() const
{
cout << "A Shows" << endl;
}

Be aware that you *do not need* to assign the result of a function call to a temporary in order to make further use of it. Just like you can write (12 + 23) * 42, you can write c.getA().Show(). Because no assignment-to-temporary happened, there is no chance for this to get messed up.

However, when you assign a Foo& to a Foo, it copies the object, just like if you assign a Foo to some other Foo. Assigning a Foo& to another Foo& only copies the reference.

As for the const business...

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!