• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Ishraam

smart pointer in an engine

This topic is 4531 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi, On my way home I thought about something : having started to write an engine, I decided from the start to use boost::shared_ptr everywhere (class member attributes, function param, etc). 1. First of all is "everywhere" sensible ? 2. Are there places where smart pointers should be avoided (for some performance reason - maybe in the 3D renderer part ?) ? I'm especially concerned about Resource management (with let's say a ResourceManager containing a table (read "std::map") of (resourceID, resourceSmartPtr)). 3. I bet there would be problems when trying to affect a ResourcePtr to a TexturePtr (assume Texture inherits Resource). Right ?

Advertisement
1: 'Everywhere' isn't sensible - consider using boost::scoped_ptr, std::auto_ptr, or stack allocation for objects which aren't shared.

2: Also consider using boost:intrusive_ptr for speed critical regions if you really need reference counting.

3: No problems using shared_ptr with inheritance

Nitage :

1. Yep, of course :).

2. But boost::intrusive_ptr are not thread safe - which might be a problem for a ResourceLoader that process in a separate thread.

3. Oh, ok. Strange I 've just run into a problem (looks like reference counting went wrong...).
I have a class Material containing (let's say) a TexturePtr m_TexturePtr;
And when loading, I use ResourceLoader::Get which returns a ResourcePtr, and
m_TexturePtr = TexturePtr( static_cast<Texture*> ResourceLoader::Get("myTexture"));

I bet there's something wrong in there... no ?

A friend once said this:

C allows you to shoot yourself in the foot.
C++ allows you to reuse the bullets
With Boost, you're loaded for bear...
if the gun goes off, the entire foot is gone

The problem with smart pointers (and a lot of other cool stuff that Boost offers) is that used correctly, they're a great asset. If you mess up, though, the bugs are often much more difficult to track than a native C++ one (try tracking a memory-bug that passes through Boost::signals, for example).

These things should be used when you know WHY you're using them, and what their functions/limitations are. Before that, you're a danger to yourself, the environment and anyone inside the range of your newly loaded elephant rifle.

Allan

Don't worry noone's live will be endangered :). I love my feet & they love me.

I'm not writing code for commercial reasons.

I'm __asking__ since I'm in the process of __learning__. Note that I would definitely not ask if I was a C++/Boost god, neh,Odin ;).

Of course I could stick to C, or basic C++. But I woudn't even have ever got to learn these if I hadn't __try__ to learn.

And I don't know for you, but I MUST make mistakes when learning, anyway.
But sure, I do read the docs - I simply forget what I read too quick sometimes... :p

Quote:

3. Oh, ok. Strange I 've just run into a problem (looks like reference counting went wrong...).
I have a class Material containing (let's say) a TexturePtr m_TexturePtr;
And when loading, I use ResourceLoader::Get which returns a ResourcePtr, and
m_TexturePtr = TexturePtr( static_cast<Texture*> ResourceLoader::Get("myTexture"));

Which of those pointers are T* and which ones are boost::shared_ptr<T>?

Ho sorry, silly me. (tired)
Ho mistake moreover :|
Let me rewrite :

m_TexturePtr = TexturePtr( static_cast<Texture*> ((ResourceLoader::Get("myTexture")).get());

The only T* is the one I get through the usual shared_ptr<..>::get() func.

So to make things clear

class Resource {...};
class Texture : public Resource {...};

typedef boost::shared_ptr<Resource> ResourcePtr;
typedef boost::shared_ptr<Texture> TexutrePtr;

class ResourceLoader
{
std::map< id, ResourcePtr> m_table;
ResourcePtr Get(id) const;
};

Every resource loaded goes into the ResourceLoader::m_table, e.g. on load a TexturePtr will be cast as a ResourcePtr before being appended to the m_table.

My problem is when I when to Get() the TexturePtr from the m_table, and want to assign it to a Material::TexturePtr for exemple : I will have to assign (operator=)
a shared_ptr<Resource> (which is in fact a shared_ptr<Texture>)
to another already created (on object construction) shared_ptr<Texture>.

(In other words : shared_ptr<Texture> = shared_ptr<Texture> (static_cast<Texture*> (shared_ptr<Resource>.get())); -- ugly neh ?)

That isn't a problem with boost::shared_ptr, it's a problem with your code.

You are trying to convert a pointer to a resource(base class) into a pointer to a texture(derived class) - that's an unsafe conversion, as not all resources are textures - if you aren't to far in you should consider changing your design.

To fix the code as it is:

m_TexturePtr = TexturePtr( boost::dynamic_pointer_cast<Texture>(ResourceLoader::Get("myTexture")) );

//the same with normal pointers
Texture* ptr = dynamic_cast<Texture*>(ResourceLoader::Get("myTexture"));

hmmm, I was about to post what Nitage did, good job I scrolled down on look [grin]

On the container front, I'm currently working on a resource loader system the output of my thoughts can be found in my journal, you might want to have a read [smile]

@ Nitage :
I'm not too far in my design, no :p.
I didn't know about boost::dynamic_pointer_cast so I'll give a try at your first proposition.

BTW, I should have typde 'dynamic_cast' instead of 'static_cast' - I spit it from the top of my head, without much reflexion I recognize.

@ phantom:
I'll have a look at your journal

Thanks!

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!