• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
TriKri

Scripting language for GP?

This topic is 4516 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

What is the best scripting language for genetic programming purposes? I would rather be able to write a script interpreter at my own and use it in my program than using an exstern interpreter ... any suggestions of how the programming language could look like? The best I know (and easiest )is when your program consists of a vector of integer numbers, where each number represent an instruction, g.e: 1: A = A + A 2: A = A + B 3: A = A + C ... X: D = E + B ... X: D = A * B ... X: U = M ^ Q etc. etc. But that is not flexible enough if you want to get somplex programs with function calls and loops. Do you know of a very simple programming language for GP purposes that still is flexible enough to produce advanced programs?

Advertisement
Yeah, Lisp seems to be good for that purpose, just a little bit messy. I read about a project, Eurisko (1978), by Douglas Lenat, which also used Lisp. It became very successful, re-inventeing a lot mathematical stuff by testing, like prime numbers and lowest common denominator. Wonder what the guy does now.

Quote:
Original post by TriKri
I read about a project, Eurisko (1978), by Douglas Lenat... Wonder what the guy does now.

Douglas Lenat's most notable work since then would undoubtedly be CYC.

What do you prefere? Is a LISP code handeling genetic algorithm easy to code?

Btw, does CYC also use LISP?

I'm writing an interpreted general-purpose scripting/programming language too. I'll probably use it to script artificial intelligence.

The syntax is similar to C++/C#. It more closely resembles C# because everything has to be in a class (which makes the development of such a language much easier!). Using a custom programming language is much easier if the language resembles something you know, like C++ or C#, even if it makes implementation and deployment harder.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!