• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
spirre

OpenGL Rendering Real Time data

This topic is 4432 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hello, I am having difficulties trying to render big chunks of data in real time. The case is this. A scanner is located above a conveyor belt that is transporting stuff. The scanner takes sweeps of material on the belt and then getting X and Y values of the objects passing through. # / / / / __|-|-|-|___ With current sweepangle, I get about 119 points with X and Y Values every sweep. The conveyor belt is moving with 177 mm/s and the scanner takes 180 sweeps/s. To calculate the Z coordinate for this visualization, I take: 177 mm/s / 180 sweeps/s = roughly 0.98 mm / sweep. To visualize 2 meters of the conveyor belt I need about 2000 sweeps. This results in many points that has to be calculated. I think I calculated it to 238.000 points for every two meter pass. Right now I am using a OpenGL bridge for C# to visualize this. And it is really slow using immediate mode (the only thing i got working with this bridge). Would other solutions like VBO's or Vertex Arrays prove more efficient? This is the way things get rendered now, roughly:
//ArrayList pointsList containing X coordinate and Y coordinate arrays
// method is executed every new sweep.
public void Update(ScannerData data)
{
    // sweepbuffer is number of sweeps that will be rendered
    while(pointsList.Count < sweepBuffer)
    {
        // transfer data.getXcoordinate() to pointsList
        // transfer data.getYcoordinate() to pointsList

// send pointsList to method that creates all the vertices
    }
    pointsList.Remove(0); // remove the first sweep X and Y arrays to loop over 
                             again
    pointsList.Remove(0);    
}

Advertisement
im having trouble visualizing what u want (screenshot may help)
also for the poiunts instead of glBegin()..glEnd();
try with glDrawArrays( GL_POINTS, ... ) if that helps then look into VBOS etc

The data i get from the scanner is rows of X and Y coordinates in mm, like this:

X: 34 45 34 45 34 45 34 143 143 23 45
Y: 9 4 15 42 3 49 23 42 32 32 43 55

That is coordinates for one sweep, generating a 2D graph curve.
To generate a 3D surface of sweeps, I need to collect a bunch of sweeps.
And then calculate the Z coordinate as the length between the sweeps.
And because there is so many sweeps to generate a surface of say 2 meters. That is alot of points.

I can switch between glBegin(GL_POINTS) and glBegin(GL_TRIANGLE_STRIP) in the program. But as I said that is too much information coming and going anyways for it to run smoothly.

And the rendering routine is not that good. Every new sweep I remove the oldest sweep and insert the new one -> then render all the points. Remove the old one insert new -> render all the points.
But I didn't come up with a better way to do it.

One reason to this is cause the Z coordinate to be recalculated, so the surface "stands still" and doesn't "move away" for every sweep that is removed and added.

Rendering loop goes:

- Get sweep data from scanner (integer X and Y coordinates)
- Add to an ArrayList until sweepBuffer is full.
- If full, remove oldes, insert newest sweep.
- Send to function that creates vertices (X,Y,Z) as a struct, points.x points.y
points.z. And also calculates face normals and vertex normals and adds this to the vertex struct.
- Another function uses this struct in glBegin glEnd with appropriate parameter.

This runs everytime the buffer gets full, and another sweep is removed/added.

[Edited by - spirre on June 27, 2006 4:41:43 AM]

I don't understand everything completely, but ... Maybe it's usefull to make a more simple rendering, by reducing the amount of points being used?

Greetings, Michael

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!