• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Kenny77

Game Art

This topic is 4531 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

A friend and I are thinking of getting togethor and creating some games, I would do the programming he would do the art, my question is does he need to be able to program to make the art for the games?

Advertisement
No. He simply needs to use tools and/or export to formats that you, the programmer, can implement loading support for (for example, if you know how to load TGA image files already, but not BMP files -- and don't want to implement BMP support -- then make sure he gives you TGAs for all the image files).

Not at all.

In the early states of a game, the concept art drawer usually deliberates a lot with the team leader. They picture certain places, characters, monsters and more, and the CA drawer begins sketching these. After he has some images, he shows them to the leader and they'll decide together if they're good enough. Then they go to the modeler or spriter (depends on you're dimension) to get them created.

In the meanwhile, the coder is quite busy with the engines.

~ Stenny

Even so, it's nice if the artist knows a bit of what goes into the coding. At least a passing familiarity with what the engineer needs (formats, bit depth, why big textures aren't always ideal, how to tile properly and why, etc.) will make the entire workflow go better.

In my experience, it's essential for the engineers and artists to be able to communicate, and if there's a shared vocabulary and knowledge base, things go smoother. You don't need artists to be programmers, exactly, just to be aware of what you do and at least a little of why, as it pertains to what they do.

At least when it comes to creating assets to be used in-game. When it's just concept art, there's no reason to be anything but an artist. ;D

I once had an artist ask me why, if Photoshop supported all those formats, the game engine couldn't as well...

So yeah, it's nice if they know SOMETHING about what is involved, but only so much as to have an appreciation, they don't need to be fully qualified programmers.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!