• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

[java] J2ME Game for the PC and a question

This topic is 4343 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I made an installer for a simple J2ME game I made a few years ago. The game is 40k while the emulator and installer are 2MB. http://www.ww275.com/MiniSpaceWars-.1-Setup.exe It requires a JVM. I tested it with 1.5.0_06. It should run with > 1.3, but I have not tested it. I have made three complete games in my life: - Small arcade game in C using openGL in highschool - Large C++ game called Mortification (> 30k LOC) for a Game Development class at UNT where I graduated with my BSCS - MiniSpaceWars in 2003 I have prototyped a few others. I was thinking of making a few more J2ME arcade games and updating MiniSpaceWars for the emulator and add them to the installer. I'm calling it AllBinaryMobile. I would then add some pay for games that you could download and add to the emulator. Is this a reasonable way to make some money from my software development skills since I can't get a software development job? Or should I continue to develop my E-Commerce and Store Builder program (> 100k LOC): http://www.allbinary.com/Freeblisket.jsp and http://www.allbinary.com/Weblisket.jsp I was also thinking about developing a bot to level up characters in games since I saw people bidding a bunch of money on ebay for that. I don't really want to do that, but it looks like I could make $. I guess in general I am trying to find a way to make money since software jobs are impossible for me to get.

Advertisement
I find the mobile gaming very promising, specially for Java developers using 3D bindings from different vendors, such as Sony Ericsson or Nokia. I advise you to take a look at their SDKs to see how powerful they are. You could simply develop and publish the games via OTA.

It seems more reasonable than the emulator approach. But there's nothing stopping you from doing that, anyway.

Software jobs are impossible to get? If you mean game development I might even agree on a few points within that statement, but for the rest it is definetely not true. The market is always open to good Java developers, so please explain why do you think it is that hard to land a job for you? Perhaps we could help :D

Son Of Cain

Reasons I can't get a Software Developer Job in order:

1. Government Controlled Exchange Rates
2. Insane Contracts
3. Since I have never been able to make much $ moving and interviews are just to expensive now.
4. Most Software Developers and such job titles don't Develop Software they end up doing something else most of the time. 5% coding is not a software developer. > 50% coding is. Evangelist/Presentations, Business meetings, Customer Support, Requirements, and such are not designing or coding software.

I have only had one real software development job as a Systems Software Engineer and I never have the chance to work on a product that would make real $ so I could never much $ for my work. I have had 3 other possibles that turned out to have nothing to do with developing software (Legal liability positions).

That does not mean that I don't get offers. Most of them turn out to have nothing to do with developing software - they are looking for someone to take the legal liability, customer support, evangalist, tech support, consultant, or other job. I'm better now about finding out the truth, but some still lie anyways just to get me in the door. I can see through most of the BS now, but not good enough to waste my time with another job that is a scam.

You sound exactly like the type of person I'm looking for, though I don't know you, so I could be wrong, but your attitude sounds honest and straightforward. I'm looking for people to help me with a J2ME/M3G game called "Weekend Racer". It's a car racing game where you buy, sell and race production cars earning money to buy better cars, upgrades, etc. Basicly, it's like a tiny version of GT (grand turismo) for cell users. I'm hoping to expand this later to a GT-A (grand theft auto) type game using the car models as a springboard, basicly adding a first person shooter aspect to the racing game. (And it will be a first person shooter, not 3rd person!) Anyway, like I said, you sound normal, so I'd be more than happy to talk to you.

Here's what I got so far:

http://www.geocities.com/bpj1138/WeekendRacerDemo.zip (MIDP 2.0 & M3G required)

--Bart

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!