• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

Critique. simple flight control modeled as rigid body

This topic is 4261 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi Need some feedback for this simplifed system for flight control as rigid body. I am bothered that I have to store both local and world space torque and angular velocity for the plane. Treat plane as sphere. Control phase: Left/right arrow: add (0,1,0) to plane's world torque to rotate the plane around the world Y axis add (0,0,1) to plane's local torque to induce rolling motion as plane yaws left. Up/down arrow: get plane's x axis. Zero this axis' y compoent. Normalize it, and add this to world torque. This essential rotates the plane around the projection of the plane's x axis onto the global x,z plane, assuming y is up. Simulation phase: use world torque to update world angular velocity. use local torque to update local angular velocity. rotate plane orientation in world coordinate based on world angular velocity rotate plane orientation in local coordinate based on local angular velocity Thanks

Advertisement
I guess the post was unclear...?

Nonetheless, please feel free to share how you would do it, or links to guides.

Racing sims such as F-Zero also have some parallels

I m keeping the local data to facilitate easier local transforms, such as the accompanied rolling motion when the plane yaws. Also, it allows finer control; some times the world rotation along isn't enough.

This approach is my blind and disgruntled experimentation based on my limited knowledge on this subject. It works for my purposes but it's far from elegant. If one can recommend a good book or open source engine, that d help me greatly. Thanks.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement