stick or go with C++?

Started by
2 comments, last by Timpy123 17 years, 10 months ago
Hi, I'm currently learning C++ (and already know Java). I also know quite a bit of Blitmax. However, I'm not sure what I should do. I want to work on a large project but am not sure whether I should learn C++ and use that or stick with blitzmax? Which would you recommend? Reason I'm asking is because, from what I've heard, a lot of people prefer to use Bmax because it's easier than C++, but if I know the basics of C++ and am still learning, should I stick with it and use that, or use Bmax? Thanks
Advertisement
It really depends what you want to do.
If you just are working on a game in you spare time, for your own enjoyment, then by all means stick with Blitz, it will certainly be simpler.
If however, you are interested in getting into the game development industry (even to some extent as an indie), you will need a more mainstream language, typically C++.

Tristam MacDonald. Ex-BigTech Software Engineer. Future farmer. [https://trist.am]

It largely doesn't matter which language you learn as the concepts are transferable between languages. It'll take you a little while to pick up the syntax of a new language but after that you're plain sailing.

If you want to see results stick with what you know but when you start reaching the limits of the language, where you are frustrated with how you have to do things then consider switching.

It wont take you long to get down with the basics of C++ especially with a good book but it's also probably one of the hardest languages to master because of the depth of exposure. Don't let that put you off though as you'll only need that when you're trying to do something a bit special which you wouldn't be able to do with the other languages anyway.

Thanks for the replies. I want to start developing indie games, and whatever the outcome I will end up learning C++. However, I've just started my summer holidays and want to get my first game out by the end of the year, and have most of it down by the end of the holidays. I've been going through "Teach yourself C++ is 21 days" and "C++ for dummies" and I'm picking up C++ quite easily since it's quite similar to Java (Except pointers). However, I'm not sure when to start learning SDL/Allegro or whether I should just use Bmax.
Also, in C++, do I either choose between DX and openGL or is there a way I can make code that doesn't require much change? Reason I'm asking is because I want to make the game cross-platform but want to give the option of DirectX for the Windows version.
Thanks again for the replies.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement