• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

Im Really New I Need Tonnes Of Help!

This topic is 4346 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hey, My name is Rory and I am a 16 year old student. I have finished my GCSE's and am looking to go into A-level. But I have a real intrest in Game Development and Design. I would love to create some simple games...Does anyone have any software and books that could help me to start this dream of creating games. Game design software is all the same to me at the moment, unlike web design where Dreamweaver is a clear winner. Thanks in advance Rory

Advertisement
You need to choose a language before getting software or books, else how would you know what software and books to get?

Look at the getting started section of the Forum FAQ and follow some of the links. Choose a few languages to try out then go with the one you are most comforable with.

If you want books then take a look in the books section. Or you could try a library.

This link is commonly suggested for requests such as this. It might help you gain a little more specific understanding of what's involved, and thus help improve your search for more information.

OK, thanks but as I say I am really new infact I have thought about it for ages, yet today I'm taking action... What language is the most pop. / most effective?

Quote:
I would love to create some simple games...Does anyone have any software and books that could help me to start this dream of creating games.

I use c++ in programming. Of course it is pretty complex, but rewarding. SDL is for graphics in every language and simple. (suprisingly stands for simple-direct layer)

Quote:
Game design software is all the same to me at the moment, unlike web design where Dreamweaver is a clear winner.

Well, I not so sure you would like game maker stuff. They are normally complex (not that programming) and slow (as in execution speed). Gamemaker is not that bad.

Guest Anonymous Poster
what about for free?

You only need a compiler. It puts all you're C++ code together into a exe. Two of the most popular are microsoft visual studio C++ and Dev-C++. If you intend to get further with windows programming, I'd suggest visual studio. But that's my idea.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/vstudio/express/visualc/

~ Stenny

Free downloads of interest to you:

The compiler and IDE

Platform SDK for Windows XP

DirectX SDK

Edit: AP beat me to it ^_^;

Edit2: No, you create code in Visual Studio. But you could create it in notepad if you are masochistic. Judging by your questions you've not had any previous exposure to programming, so I'd recommend starting with something really simple. First, get a decent C++ book (if you are set on C++) and work your way through their examples. I'm gonna plug Bruce's book here, since it's free and you're on a budget, but I've heard some others claim that it's not as clear/beginner-friendly as his Java book.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!