• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Axiverse

P8 palletted textures

This topic is 4432 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Has anyone else worked with these in direct3D? I remember the last time i tried to use it, i couldn't get it to work. Modern graphic cards still support palettes, right? If anyone else has gotten them to work, I'll give it another shot. Thanks!

Advertisement
Quote:
Original post by Axiverse
Has anyone else worked with these in direct3D? I remember the last time i tried to use it, i couldn't get it to work. Modern graphic cards still support palettes, right? If anyone else has gotten them to work, I'll give it another shot.

Thanks!

I came a while back to the conclusion that palettes are no longer supported. When you load the palettized images, they'll be most likely converted into an RGB format.

Toolmaker

Check the "Graphics Card Capabilities" entry in the SampleBrowser - its not an exhaustive list but its a good indication as to the current state of things.

There are no cards listing D3DFMT_P8 as supported.

If you're using shader-capable hardware then you can fairly easily emulate paletted rendering using dependent reads.

What are you trying to achieve with 8bit?

Cheers
Jack

Card manufacturers are out to eliminate P8. A GeForce3 running a DX8 app has P8, while in DX9, using the same drivers, does not (though it does get L8, and A8L8, but sadly, no A8).

There are times when 1 bit, 2 bit, 4 bit, and 8 bit textures would be ideal, but we're being forced into using higher color depth textures, wasting graphics memory, and memory bandwidth. Personally I think it's insane. Sure, support 16, 32, 64, and 128 bit textures, but why not keep support for some small formats around?

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!