• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Opwiz

Measuring Performance

This topic is 4524 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hello I wonder if there are some nice tools available to measure the performance of an application (fps) during execution. What I would want is a simple fps vs time elapsed graph - it would be nice to be able to put labels at different points during execution, e.g. when a certain technique is activated or a certain number of objects have been added to a scene. Is there any free charting libraries available (I'm using C#)? Or perhaps external software that loads chart-data that my application can generate (preferably a simple format)? Thanks Opwiz

Advertisement
I've personally never seen anything like this, but adding this sort of thing in wasn't too difficult in our project. But granted we're using C++ and I'm the biggest newbie you've met when it comes to C# so not sure about that aspect. I actually have a "remote" logging applications I fire off network messages too (its actually run locally but could be run anywhere) that graphs and records for me.

What you want is called a "Profiler". If you are using DirectX you might be interested in PIX which is in the SDK and if you have an nVidia card you could use NVPerfHud which is in the nVidia SDK.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!