C++ Workshop - Feedback

Started by
29 comments, last by Deyja 17 years, 8 months ago
Given that it has been three weeks since we've started this workshop, I feel it is time to gather some feedback. Unsurprisingly, in spite of an initial wave of enthusiasm, the participation numbers seem to be down. If you have given up participation in this workshop, we are particularly interested in hearing why. Though hearing words of praise is always pleasant, it is very important to know if we are doing anything wrong. Is the workshop helpful? Are we going too fast? Too slow? Do you find your questions fully answered? Are the answers detailed enough? Are the answers too complex - particularly when dealing with topics that won't be studied until later? Have you encountered problems with the book that the tutors haven't corrected? Is there anything you think we should do to improve this forum?
"Debugging is twice as hard as writing the code in the first place. Therefore, if you write the code as cleverly as possible, you are, by definition, not smart enough to debug it." — Brian W. Kernighan
Advertisement
I haven't had any problems recently, other than it seems to be too slow. I realise that things will change as the subject matter gets more detailed so it's necessary to set a realistic pace that can be maintained throughout the book.

The responses are very detailed - sometimes apparantly too detailed - but I'm storing them away for future reference. I'd rather that than a bland comment something like "that's the way it is, learn it parrot fashion and all will become clear in due course".

One of the weekly quizzes seemed to stray into future parts of the book so I've not attempted it yet as I don't want to confuse myself.

Finally, I have come across a couple of typos in Chapter 5 so I'll post about them in that thread. As a matter of interest, it strikes me that the authors and publishers have many free proof readers here. Is there a formal mechanism whereby the amendments can be fed back to them?
I agree on the fact that the workshop is going a bit slow at the moment. Up until day 7 are things I allready know. But this is good for those who don't have previous experience. I'm looking forward to the later chapters though, I went through them quickly and saw that I'll be learning A LOT. So Please don't let my comments on the workshop being slow discourage you! It will be plenty fast during later chapters. You're doing a great job and it's nice to have really in depth answers to simple questions. This way you can learn something even if you thought you knew everything covered in the book.

Plus: I think the forum activity is not an excellent way to measure how many people are participating. When quizzes have been answered or when questions have been asked before you had a change to do so, there is no point in reposting them... Maybe those that are folowing along quietly should speak up here, just to encourage our tutors :)

anyways, that's just my opinion...
I've said it before and I'll say it again. Putting this forum at the bottom of the forums listing is a bad idea. People just tend to forget about this. Eeek! I found out that there is a sticky post in the For Beginners forum that leads to this forum.. Is this enough publicity?

But as posted above, the pace is good but the information is too easy currently. I think the later chapters will bring more attention, that is, if this workshop is brought to attention as a whole, first.

[Edited by - Pipo DeClown on June 27, 2006 6:05:25 AM]
Quote:Original post by Pipo DeClown
I've said it before and I'll say it again. Putting this forum at the bottom of the forums listing is a bad idea. People just tend to forget about this.

But as posted above, the pace is good but the information is too easy currently. I think the later chapters will bring more attention, that is, if this workshop is brought to attention as a whole, first.

To add to that, it should be right under For Beginners.

Beginner in Game Development?  Read here. And read here.

All,

I'd like to thank everyone for their feedback. It is unfortunate that the C++ Workshop cannot be placed somewhere it will be more easily recognized. With that aside - myself, Fruny, and others have noticed that the number of viewings each week and the number of responses seems to be declining.

We would really appreciate any feedback you might be able to provide that would help us be more helpful to you. We've heard a few people suggest that we're moving too slowly, but its difficult to tell if that's because you're the few who are understanding the information, and the remaining are just uncomfortable voicing, or if everyone is truly in agreement about the pace and depth of the information being provided.

I'd like to encourage more people to speak up, for good or for ill, with their thoughts about the forum.

Keep in mind that positive feedback is greatly appreciated as well, as myself and the other tutors very much enjoy hearing about your positive experience. Its why we do what we do.

Cheers!
Jeromy Walsh
Sr. Tools & Engine Programmer | Software Engineer
Microsoft Windows Phone Team
Chronicles of Elyria (An In-development MMORPG)
GameDevelopedia.com - Blog & Tutorials
GDNet Mentoring: XNA Workshop | C# Workshop | C++ Workshop
"The question is not how far, the question is do you possess the constitution, the depth of faith, to go as far as is needed?" - Il Duche, Boondock Saints
Hey all,

I just wanted to say that I think this is a great idea, and a really good opportunity for people who want to learn the language out of self interest! I was interested in learning C++ at some point but couldn't find any suitable courses here down under (well that didn't cost the world anyway) and because my university is java mad, i wasn't going to get an opportunity through them either so this was a super find!

I haven't got the book yet (being a student the cashflow is a bit tight for hobby assosciated investments!) but i've saved up my pennies and it should be here in the next couple of weeks (fingers crossed). I figured because I have a fairly solid grip on programming in java, and the OO paradigm, that looking at the first few chapters I will basically just be learning syntax, so hopefully it won't take me too long to catch up to where the workshop is.

Lastly I think what you guys are doing should be commended and think that this course is the ideal way for the hobbyist (or even more advanced) programmer to sink their teeth into C++ if they don't know the language. I'm guessing that it takes quite a bit of commitment from the tutors to organise such a long running and well supported workshop so would just like to say thanks in advance for the effort all the tutors are putting into this.

- TKDCobra

Only those who have the patience to do simple things perfectly will acquire the skill to do difficult things easily. - Johann von Schiller
Experience is the name everyone gives to their mistakes - Oscar Wilde
Hey guys,

First, again I want to thank Mr. Walsh, Fruny and everyone for what has (for me) been a great experience so far!

I can also agree to the fact that things are kinda slow at the moment. BUT, I've sorta been ok with that knowing that what is to come (the things that confused me in college...) is going to be more in depth, and I may need that week to re-read the chapter, ask more questions, etc. I don't know when that time will come...it may NEVER come! I know so far I've come across things that have had me saying to myself, "Wow, this seems so much easier to understand now that I'm older!" so maybe it'll be smooth sailing for me throughout the course. I hope...

I have all the faith in the world that you guys will make the correct decision on this. If you choose to pick up the pace a bit, I will absolutely do everything I can to keep up. I don't think I'd find it discouraging.

Now, where's that chapter 5 quiz?:)
Quote:Now, where's that chapter 5 quiz?:)

I'm looking forward to the "official" answers to the quiz for chapter 3!
If it's ok I'd like to join. I know I'm behind about 4-5 chapters but I'm willing to play catchup. I just recieved my book in the mail today so I'm ready to start!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement