• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
xdotdt

Action adventure game programming

This topic is 4353 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I just love action adventure genre such as prince of persia, ico, etc. But it's not easy to imagine how I can program it. Of course, I know rendering techniques or generic collision detection that is used in usual FPS games. The problem is for none of those, but for the following. In those action adventure games, the character runs and stops in front of the cliff. After that, he get hung on the cliff to go to the opposite side. From that place, he jumps down to reach to the ground. He opens a door, and runs on wall being prepared to jump to the opposite wall. Like the above, many triggers and trigger check logics are needed. Is there any book helps them to program action adventure games?

Advertisement
Hey xdotdt,

This might help; it's not exactly what you're asking, I think, but extrapolate what's said in that article from keyboard/mouse events to "door open" events and the such. I'm sorry, I don't know of any books that would describe this, but I think what you're looking for is called (generally, not just in game programming) an "event-driven system".

Hope that helps,
Aviosity

I've never heard of such a book.

Opening a door is quite a simple process, but edges management like in Prince of Persia, Tomb Raider, etc... demand that you either :

a) have your level designers place specific flags / objects on edges that are grabbable

b) you analyse in real time the collision mesh to find out wether or not what surrounds you would provide a grabbable edge

and then use this information when the character moves around to either fall or grab an edge when you're walking past it...

It might sound easy, but trust me, its not ;)

Good luck

Eric

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!