• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Kest

Remove an axis from coordinate distances

This topic is 4527 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

If I have the length between two coordinates, is there a quick method to remove an axis from that distance, if given the direction vector? For example, say I have position pa and pb. dir_3d is the normalized direction vector from pa to pb. And distance_3d is the distance between them. Can I flatten pa and pb to exist on the same Y space (pa.y = pb.y), and then perform a calculation between dir_3d and distance_3d to obtain a new distance_2d between them? To put it simply, I want this result: distance_2d = distance_3d * sqrtf( (dir_3d.x * dir_3d.x) + (dir_3d.z * dir_3d.z) ); But I don't want to have to calculate with sqrtf again. I want to use dir_3d to change distance_3d into distance_2d. Is this possible? Thanks for any help. [Edited by - Kest on June 26, 2006 8:38:13 PM]

Advertisement
You could simply take the sqrt of everything at once. If you simplify everything your doing you get:

distance_2d = distance_3d/sqrt(distance_3d.x^2+distance_3d.y^2+distance_3d.z^2) * sqrt(distance_3d.x^2+distance_3d.z^2);

that is normalizing distance_3d and then multiplying it by the length of distance_2d. You could combine the two sqrt functions by doing:

distance_2d = distance_3d*sqrt((distance_3d.x^2+distance_3d.z^2)/(distance_3d.x^2+distance_3d.y^2+distance_3d.z^2));

I'm sending a 3D ray to an intersect routine. The intersect routine uses a grid system to optimize the number of objects checked with the ray. The optimizing grid is 2D. So I need to find the distance that ray covers on the flattened xz spaces. I'm not computing the 3D length and 2D length in the same place.

It's not a big deal. I'm not that worried about extreme optmization here. I just thought that there may be a quick way to accomplish this.

One way I was considering.. If x=.7,y=.7,z=0. Y would be 50% of the vector, right? So 50% of the 3D distance needs removed? So if the length was 300 in 3D, the ray now runs only 150 units straight down the x axis. Is that correct? Is there a fast way to find the percentage of Y in the vector? Or would calculating the percentage be just as time consuming as calculating the distance again?

Thanks for your help.

idk I think sqrt is a rly slow function. You might be able to write some speed optimized version with lower accuaracy. I did that for all the trig functions. I dont think that percentage would work. if sqrt(.7^2+.7^2+0^2) == 300 then sqrt(.7^2 + 0^2) == 300/sqrt(2) which isnt 150. unless you can find a way to combine them I think you need 2 sqrt function calls.

Quote:
I'm not sure about the percentage way, I'd have to think about that some more. There are other ways to compute it though.
Yours:
distance_2d = distance_3d * sqrtf( (dir_3d.x * dir_3d.x) + (dir_3d.z * dir_3d.z) );

A little less math:
distance_2d = sqrtf(distance_3d * distance_3d - dir_3d.y * dir_3d.y);

Trig:
distance_2d = distance_3d * cos(asin(dir_3d.y / distance_3d));

Not sure which is more optimal though.

EDIT: Oops! Sorry, not sure what I was thinking. I forgot dir_3d was a unit vector I guess. So ignore all that.

Here's the corrected "less math":
distance_2d = distance_3d * sqrtf(1 - dir_3d.y * dir_3d.y);

Here's the corrected Trig:
distance_2d = distance_3d * cos(asin(dir_3d.y));

I don't think the percentage will work. BTW, what you are looking for is called the projection of the 3D vector into a plane.

[Edited by - reana1 on June 27, 2006 4:52:33 PM]

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!