• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

VBlimits

Point Sprites

This topic is 6477 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi i am working on a 3D Game Engine and i need some help with Direct3D. more to the point The Point Sprites i dont under stand the SDK Docs and there does not seem to be any Docs online (That i can find) so any help with this would be gratly aprishated.. links, post, or what ever help you can ofre. Thanks -VBLimits Sorry about the Spelling.. www.VBLimits.com

Advertisement
I''d head over to www.mrgamemaker.com and look at the billboard tutorial and just write your own routine. Apparently the point sprites in D3DX8 are quite slow.

Although, sorry to be completely useless and not help you answer your question.

Tessellator

VBLimits: look at the "pointsprite" sample in the dx8sdk, it really is quite easy to understand. basically you only have to set the right renderstates to render pointsprites, then render a pointlist with drawprimitive.

Tessellator: why would you say pointsprites are slow? did you do a benchmark? i''d be interested in that.
btw, they are a part of d3d, not d3dx

ridcully

There is just one thing I don''t get. And that''s the size of the roms. Mario64 takes 8mb, Zelda64 takes about 24mb.

Games now-a-days take up to 1-2gb

/MindWipe

"If it doesn''t fit, force it; if it breaks, it needed replacement anyway."

Thanks all
Point Sprites are really fast in VB you can render 10,000 of them bear frame and get a frame rate of about 30 on a good computer
you can do that with Bill Boards

when i am done the Eninge they will have both BillBoards a Point Sprite so i will run a Beanch mark and tell you all about it

I will have the Aritcl done in 4 weeks or so
hehe
i figerd you how to run them
i dont really like the SDK Sample they made it to big for it to be of any use to me
well the VB one is anyway
i will look at the VC++ one today and see if its better..

-VBLimits
Sorry about the Spelling..
www.VBLimits.com

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!