Lua doesnt pass numbers back?

Started by
5 comments, last by Programmer16 17 years, 10 months ago
I've just integrated Lua with a c++ app I'm developing for PDAs, but whenever a lua script tries to return a numeral, on the c++ side of things, all I get is zero, every time. On the other hand I can receive strings with no problem whatsoever... Does any know where under the hood I should look to fix this?
Advertisement
Hi,

Can you give us the version # of Lua you're using, any wrapper you're using, etc...?

After executing your function call, what do you call to retrieve your numeral?

Do you call lua_tointeger or lua_tonumber (double) right after your function call?

Cheers
oops nm.
From lua.h:
Quote:#define LUA_VERSION "Lua 5.0"
#define LUA_COPYRIGHT "Copyright (C) 1994-2003 Tecgraf, PUC-Rio"
#define LUA_AUTHORS "R. Ierusalimschy, L. H. de Figueiredo & W. Celes"

I just do a simple:
Quote:
if(lua_isnumber(L, 1))
{
int v = lua_tonumber(L, 1);
}
lua_tonumber() returns a double but you're storing it to an int; is the number you're returning from the Lua script less than one? It'd be a silly mistake, true, but that's the only thing that stands out to me from that little example.

If not, post more code (C-side and Lua).
Things that pop up in my mind... as jpetrie pointed out you store a double in an int.

If that's a real copy paste of your code, are you sure the right variable gets assigned? as you seem to declare an int v then exit this scope... is that "int" a mistake?

If you're using VC++, what does the Auto tab read as a return value to lua_tonumber after you've stepped over it?

Hope this helps

Eric
Are you defining your function as something like:
function add(firstNumber, secondNumber)    return firstNumber + secondNumber;end

If so are you calling it via:
lua_getglobal(LuaStatePtr, "add");lua_pushnumber(LuaStatePtr, firstNumber);lua_pushnumber(LuaStatePtr, secondNumber);lua_call(LuaStatePtr, 2 /*2 arguments*/, 1 /*1 return value*/);int nSum = (int)lua_tointeger(LuaStatePtr, -1);

There are some good intro LUA tutorials at gamedevgeek.com.

Hope that helps!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement