Unofficial New Rule for For Beginners!

Started by
8 comments, last by Aardvajk 17 years, 10 months ago
**Notice the Unofficial; though it'll be official a mod or staff decides to sticky this or endorse this idea** All beginners wishing and willing to learn to C++ will be directed--emphatically--to the CPP Workshop! Not the FAQ first, not your opinion first, the CPP Workshop FIRST! Thanks [smile]

Beginner in Game Development?  Read here. And read here.

Advertisement
How about anyone wanting to introduce new rules approaches the GD staff first, instead of posting here?
Quote:Original post by Anonymous Poster
How about anyone wanting to introduce new rules approaches the GD staff first, instead of posting here?

AFAIK a new introduction in on the way (this has been discussed on the suggestion forum IIRC) - and it will probably point to the C++ workshop anyway ;)

Quote:Original post by Alpha_ProgDes
All beginners wishing and willing to learn to C++ will be directed--emphatically--to the CPP Workshop! Not the FAQ first, not your opinion first, the CPP Workshop FIRST![smile]

Are we differentiating between beginners who want to learn C++ and beginners who are asking a lot of questions about C++?
[size="2"][size=2]Mort, Duke of Sto Helit: NON TIMETIS MESSOR -- Don't Fear The Reaper
Quote:Original post by Endar
All beginners wishing and willing to learn to C++ will be directed--emphatically--to the CPP Workshop! Not the FAQ first, not your opinion first, the CPP Workshop FIRST![smile]

Are we differentiating between beginners who want to learn C++ and beginners who are asking a lot of questions about C++?

Personally, nope.

Quote:Original post by Endar

Personally, nope.

Speaking as a beginner who asks a lot of questions about C++ who bought the C++ Primer before the workshop started, I'd rather have my questions addressed individually rather than be directed to a massive thread that may or may not contain anything I would find helpful.

So far I've been using this message board to clear up whatever difficulties I've been having, and it's been a GREAT resource. Please let the helpful posters keep doing what they're doing; it's working.
For what it is worth, I think this "rule" would be a bit harsh. I agree the workshop is a great idea for people wanting a general introduction or for the "where do I start" sort of enquiries, but if people have SPECIFIC questions relating to early-days C++ I personally don't see the harm in posting in "for beginners" and personally have no objection to answering such questions.

If people feel differently to me, I would suggest not replying to such posts and letting others answer. It is not as if the forum is innundated with specific C++ questions.

We'd be better off with somewhere to direct the "What language is best for writing games" and "What's better, C++ or C#" etc types of questions IMHO.
Quote:Original post by EasilyConfused
For what it is worth, I think this "rule" would be a bit harsh. I agree the workshop is a great idea for people wanting a general introduction or for the "where do I start" sort of enquiries, but if people have SPECIFIC questions relating to early-days C++ I personally don't see the harm in posting in "for beginners" and personally have no objection to answering such questions.

If people feel differently to me, I would suggest not replying to such posts and letting others answer. It is not as if the forum is innundated with specific C++ questions.

We'd be better off with somewhere to direct the "What language is best for writing games" and "What's better, C++ or C#" etc types of questions IMHO.

Early Days C++?

Anyway, most beginners have the same type of questions. For instance, pointers. Now granted the forum is not the be all and end all of C++ question and answer. But seeing that there's an ongoing effort (and a good one at that) to teach people C++ and most likely people are still asking questions from week 1 there. So I think (personal opinion obviously) that it's a good idea if an user is asking questions where the majority of people helping can tell this person needs more practice in: functions, pointers, classes, argument passing, etc. Then send answer the question of course, but suggest/direct that person to the CPP forum. But yeah, I would send newbies (pure newbies) to the CPP forum and suggest others with questions go look at the forums as well.

Uh, no.

Perhaps you can use the C++ Workshop as a universal supplemental, but to mandate that people can't answer their own questions is unwise.
Early-days C++, as in questions arising from the early days of learning C++. Sorry if it sounded a bit precious. Just a figure of speech.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement