• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
pghTech

C++ 2005 - loading source file

This topic is 4501 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I have made the transition in the middle of learning C++ from VC6 to 2005. Can someone tell me what I need to do to compile code for a .cpp file that I load. In VC6 I could load the source file select to build, and it would build a project workspace if one wasn't loaded and compile. Now, I can't find how to do that when loading a .source file. I know how if I build the solution/project from scratch, its just wanting to run some source files to see what they do and can't find such a simple procedure if it isn't build from scratch. Thanks.

Advertisement
I don't have VS2005 here but I guess that VS2003 (which I use) works in the same way. In the solution explorer, right click on the project name and select Add -> Add Existign Item. You might also be able to do the same exact thing using the standard menus: File -> Add Existing Item.

If you want to add a new file, use the Add New Item menu option.

Regards,

Thanks Emmanuel Deloget
However, you and the educational tool that I am using both have referenced the same procedure of right clicking in the solution explorer (the book referencing that for something different) and selecting Add.

I was able to fine Project > Add > Add Item, but when I attempt what you mentioned and what the book has mentioned of right clicking in the explorer and selecting Add > Add Item (after having created the project of course) all I get is Add > Class on that menu.

Am I doing something wrong that I can't do the same procedure as Project > Add > Add Item from the tool bar, in the explorer as you mentioned?

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!