• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

C++ 2005 - loading source file

This topic is 4257 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I have made the transition in the middle of learning C++ from VC6 to 2005. Can someone tell me what I need to do to compile code for a .cpp file that I load. In VC6 I could load the source file select to build, and it would build a project workspace if one wasn't loaded and compile. Now, I can't find how to do that when loading a .source file. I know how if I build the solution/project from scratch, its just wanting to run some source files to see what they do and can't find such a simple procedure if it isn't build from scratch. Thanks.

Advertisement
I don't have VS2005 here but I guess that VS2003 (which I use) works in the same way. In the solution explorer, right click on the project name and select Add -> Add Existign Item. You might also be able to do the same exact thing using the standard menus: File -> Add Existing Item.

If you want to add a new file, use the Add New Item menu option.

Regards,

Thanks Emmanuel Deloget
However, you and the educational tool that I am using both have referenced the same procedure of right clicking in the solution explorer (the book referencing that for something different) and selecting Add.

I was able to fine Project > Add > Add Item, but when I attempt what you mentioned and what the book has mentioned of right clicking in the explorer and selecting Add > Add Item (after having created the project of course) all I get is Add > Class on that menu.

Am I doing something wrong that I can't do the same procedure as Project > Add > Add Item from the tool bar, in the explorer as you mentioned?

It sounds like you are right-clicking in the class view, not the solution explorer. Look for solution explorer, then right-click on the project.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement