• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
An0maly

New to game developing

This topic is 4499 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hey everyone. I have just started getting into game developing and hopefully I'll feel like I actually know what Im doing after I get through the basics. =P Right now Im reading "Beginning C++ game programming" and "C++ for dummies". Its pretty confusing for me right now but hopefully I'm going in the right direction. If you guys know any good books for starters Im more then happy to take your suggestions.

Advertisement
One of the best tips I can give you is to NOT skip over the basic material. It might seem like a good idea to learn an API right away like directx or opengl but just wait. You need to know the basics of the language before you start into any type of graphics. Grab a few more C++ books and go through them until you can mostly every practice question.

Hopefully these books will eventually get my attention. I've done alot of reading and a barely understand how to make a "guess my number" game. XP

I want good books on ANYTHING that I'm going to need to learn about 3D game developing.

That "Guess My Number" idea is a good one. When I was learning C++, I created a small text-based RPG where I read the map and descriptions from a text file and typed in commands to move around. I recommend starting off with a small project like that. It should be:

1. Within your bounds of ability.
2. Challenging.
3. Interesting to you.

I had a lot of classmates who didn't like what they programmed for class but never thought to program for themselves outside of what they were assigned. I would hazard a guess and say that they didn't learn as much as myself and others who found interesting program ideas to create.

I read C++ for Dummies (I read the fourth edition, I don't know if they have made any "better" editions since then) and while it made the basics of C++ easy to understand, there were several important aspects of the laguage it didn't cover, and some of the things it said were just plain incorrect (it didn't seem like the writers even knew the C++ standards exisited). Luckily, I had just borrowed it from the library, so I just returned it after I read it and bought a better C++ book (The C++ Programming Language by Bjarne Stroustrap (the creator of C++)). Having read C++ For Dummies, (and Sam's Teach Yourself C++ in 21 Days, which is the book they are using in the C++ Workshp thread) helped me grasp the concepts in this book much easier.
I'd say after you finish reading the books you are reading now (and maybe another C++ book too if you want), you should definitley give The C++ Programming Language a read, it covers almost all (if not all) aspects of the language, and it is correct.

Quote:
Original post by An0maly
Hopefully these books will eventually get my attention. I've done alot of reading and a barely understand how to make a "guess my number" game. XP

I want good books on ANYTHING that I'm going to need to learn about 3D game developing.

Then you need to stop and slow down. I'm reading your exact book (Beginning Game Programming in C++, and have also read around 100 pages of C++ for Dummies 5th Edition). If you have done a lot of reading then a guess my number game should be easy. Work on that before continuing on. I'll help you, one beginner to another. Now, who will be the one guessing the number :).

What problems are you having with "Guess the Number"?

If my code doesn't help then just tell me your problem.

Here's my code:

#include <iostream>
#include <ctime>
using namespace std;
int main(void)
{
int guess, num;
bool guessed = false;
srand(time(NULL));
num = (rand() % 100) + 1;

while (guessed==false)
{
cout << "Try to guess the secret number between 1 and 100: " << endl;
cin >> guess;
if ( guess == num )
{
cout << "You have guessed the number!!!!" << endl;
break;
}
else if ( guess < num )
{
cout << "Your guess was too low." << endl;
cout << "Guess again." << endl;
}
else
{
cout << "You guessed too high." << endl;
cout << "Guess again." << endl;
}
}
return 0;
}

Hi, If you are new and want to become more effecient in C++ then come to CPP workshop. WHere we can clear our doubts and understand the concept more clearly.: here

@bxela1, I haven't tried your program so far but I can program "guess a number" by giving some conditions. But can you tell me about

#include <ctime>, srand(time(NULL));, num = (rand() % 100) + 1; these are new to me.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!