• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
horizon981

OpenGL Question for Moderators

This topic is 4494 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Am I qualified to know why my post "On popularity of OpenGL" closed? Im sure nothing offensive was said, and I was learning a lot by reading expert comments. I am seeking a rational explanation.

Advertisement
For the very simple reason that you were providing an opportunity for the small minded Direct3D and OpenGL fanatics to continue their holy war.
Nuff said [grin]

Im expecting a moderator's reply.
But if that's the answer, may I know how do we learn if we don't ask anything? What is the basic idea behind forums anyway?

First of all, creating a thread about a closed thread is a no-no. Secondly, don't create threads that are off topic in the technical forums. Thirdly, there is a PM system for a reason. I suggest you PM Oluseyi to find out.

Closed.

I closed your thread. I reopened this one briefly to respond.

First, no, you don't necessarily get an answer. I don't owe you one. But, since I'm feeling garrulous, I shall provide one: Your question wasn't very smart, and it wasn't being answered. Instead of simply disabusing you of your false and stubbornly held notion that "99% of games use DirectX" (0% of PlayStation/2 use DirectX, 0% of Nintendo games use DirectX, 0% of Mac games use DirectX, and a significant portion of Windows games use something like SDL instead of DirectX - plus, OpenGL is comparable only to Direct3D, not to DirectX as a whole), the thread was rapidly devolving into an "OpenGL vs Direct3D" war.

"vs wars," as such threads are called, are banned on GDNet. It's not in the rules, but it should be.

Spend some time reading the site FAQ, and pay particular attention to this tip:
Quote:
Before asking a question, you should spend a few minutes looking through older posts or other parts of the site to see if the question has already been answered (chances are, it has).

Every week, almost, someone asks about the "decline" of OpenGL, about the "viability" of OpenGL, about a thousand other indicators of the certain and impending "doom" of OpenGL. I have no patience for such nonsense. If people have been saying "OpenGL is dead" since before there was a DirectX, yet it's still going strong, then such people must all, collectively, be idiots.

You're not an idiot, are you?

I didn't think so.

Thread closed.

This topic is 4494 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.