• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
stealthgate

2D sprite-based levels?

This topic is 4523 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Anyone played Revenant? I'm wondering how are levels like that made? I know the NPCs are 3D, but the background/architecture are tiled sprites right? At some kind of fixed, angled aerial view? How is that done? I want to create a game with that kind of feel. How to I go about doing so? I have 3ds max and think I should create the architecture and save the render as an image to make into a sprite. But how do I tile them in the engine? I'm looking for suggestions and maybe a "how the heck do I even start?" kind of thing. Thanks to anyone who replies! -stealthgate

Advertisement
I would first read thru some of the resources on this website, it sounds like what you're looking for is isometric tile based game. Those will give you some background on tactics for producing the game engines, but I'm not sure on the tiles themselves.

I suppose Robin Hood Legend of Sherwood would be a better example. Does this game employ a 2D isometric engine, or some other kind of sprite-based solution? I'm wondering how the sprites are made and then tiled. Or are landscapes titled isometrically and architecture is simply positioned somewhere in the scene as a sprite?

thanks again.

Say I were using 3ds max, what would be a good "isometric angle" to compose architecture/landspaces/etc... to be turned into sprites?

you dont compose them at an angle....you just build the model..and then render it..then set your camera up and down at an angle to get the look.

if you want to work with 2d....you create your model then set your camera in 3ds max and take a screenshot.

take a look at this

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Isometric_projection

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!