Game Programming Path Suggetion

Started by
16 comments, last by Mad_Koder 17 years, 9 months ago
Because so many people, (including me) asked the possibly most frequent question on these forums, " How Do I make Games" and "What API Should I Use TO Make Games", I have decided to make a diaphragm of my opinion the best way to go without learning other API and libraries you’ll find out are horrible and you might never use them for a job. ROUTE I For people who are confident, and are well fluent in either C or C++,know Pointers Classes Arrays and such, perhaps his is what you should do: Start out of course learning C/C++ (I’m guessing you do) functions arrays pointers OOP Get "The Red Book" or the "Opengl Super Bible”, and learn Opengl Fairly Well (Basically have a good understanding of the functions) read about what’s OpenGL + what does learn to make points and shapes learn about light learn texture mapping Learn some basic about win32 programming and how it works learn about hdc and hwnd and how works learn how to change bkgrnd color learn to change cursor type learn to do other stuff with wc. class learn to "tie" OpenGL with windows ROUTE II For those who are not as confident or have tried the previous route,try this route: Start out of course learning C/C++ like before functions arrays pointers OOP Learn SDL and its functions Bitmaps, sprite sound ect learn even more SDL.... Get "The Red Book" or the "Opengl Super Bible”, and learn Opengl Fairly Well (Basically have a good understanding of the functions) read about what’s OpenGL + what does learn to make points and shapes learn about light learn texture mapping Lastly, learn to incorporate OGL into SDL (that shouldn’t be hard) ROUTE III If you really wanna learn the first route over the second, (which I highly prefer), perhaps you should go back and study C++ harder I hope that cleared some things for you guys..... Cheers ~Mad_Koder [Edited by - Mad_Koder on June 27, 2006 4:30:11 PM]
Dont need one.... i'm so cool, dont ask me just do what you do..... meet me in the trap its going down....
Advertisement
You don't really sell yourself as much of a 'seasoned' professional here, especially calling that a diaphragm, which is the thing in your throat that you breathe with. I hope you meant a diagram. Anyway, what makes you credible after claiming to ask beginner questions yourself?
Quote:
Anyway, what makes you credible after claiming to ask beginner questions yourself?

WTF, I never claimed it to be a masterpiece, and so what if i have asked newbish questions, I mistpyed diagram big fucking deal gosh.......

anyway who uses the word seasoned beside chef emerald.....
Dont need one.... i'm so cool, dont ask me just do what you do..... meet me in the trap its going down....
I don't really see the point in this. You can make games with a plethora of languages. You can use many windowing/graphics/sound/input/etc APIs. Any combination therof is valid.

What is the point in singling out a couple of options in this thread? Finding APIs is not even the hard part of making games.
its called generousity of time and to much freetime. I'm not trying to be a bitch or anything, but perhaps somebody had trouble finding a good API, such as the clueless as motor herp's term..
Quote:Original post by bschneid
You don't really sell yourself as much of a 'seasoned' professional here, especially calling that a diaphragm, which is the thing in your throat that you breathe with. I hope you meant a diagram. Anyway, what makes you credible after claiming to ask beginner questions yourself?

whoah there sunny jim, time to get of your pedestal before you fall and hurt yourself dont you think?

For a start he's not claiming this is the be all and end all but just his opinion. This is after all a forum, a place where people come to exchange opinions and knowldege is it not? I think what he says is sound advice if you ask me, although maybe his list has a few holes in it. Regardless though it contains many key words in a sensible order which should at least get the clueless looking in the right places.

[size="1"] [size="4"]:: SHMUP-DEV ::
Quote:Original post by Mad_Koder
Quote:
Anyway, what makes you credible after claiming to ask beginner questions yourself?

WTF, I never claimed it to be a masterpiece, and so what if i have asked newbish questions, I mistpyed diagram big fucking deal gosh.......

anyway who uses the word seasoned beside chef emerald.....

Calm down I wasn't trying to offend you, I was just making a point that its very easy for anyone to post saying they have suggestions for newbs whether they know what they are talking about or not. And by the way, saying someone is a 'seasoned professional' isn't all that uncommon...

My point is that while there might be reason to suggest one of the above routes when someone needs help, to just post it like this (in a fairly undetailed fashion) is somewhat pointless, in my opinion.
While I strongly disagree with his approaches, he did qualify his post as his own opinion. As someone with experience I will say that:

DirectX is now more newbie-friendly than openGL. If you want to learn just stop trying to think you are all smart and just go through the tutorials step by step. 95% of the newbie questions can be answered by just going through the tutorials earnestly. Trying to do things in an unstructured environment without fully knowing the concepts is setting yourself up for weeks of frustration and wasted time.
I'm not a fan of these threads, primarily because no newbies ever read them. I'm just going to weigh in unofficially to explain how I feel about "career guides".
Quote:Original post by Anonymous Poster
If you want to learn just stop trying to think you are all smart and just go through the tutorials step by step. 95% of the newbie questions can be answered by just going through the tutorials earnestly. Trying to do things in an unstructured environment without fully knowing the concepts is setting yourself up for weeks of frustration and wasted time.

That's more or less what I've been saying all this time. I'd recommend that any newbie pick one language and read all the tutorials. Do all the tutorials. If you get problems, be patient, and ask questions. But read the tutorials. They answer questions.

Picking an API/language isn't what's important; learning the concepts of programming is what is important. Understand program flow and using external libraries! If we were just using my learning flow because it worked for me, kids would be learning game programming on a C64 with 6502 assembly language. [smile] It worked for me!

I don't have wedges of experience with DirectX or Delphi, but I could pick both of them up because I understand the fundamentals of program development. And that's what we need. A strong focus on the fundamentals instead of the APIs.
Quote:Learn some basic about win32 programming and how it works

learn about hdc and hwnd and how works
learn how to change bkgrnd color
learn to change cursor type
learn to do other stuff with wc. class
learn to "tie" OpenGL with windows

My 2p.

This is what I see sooooo many times and I'm sorry I just don't get it. Yes if you want to use DirectX then use the Win32 API; otherwise why restrict your app to only run on windows?

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement