• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
swiftcoder

Sattelite Ping response

This topic is 4497 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I am currently on a pretty fast DirectWay satellite connection, online broadband speed tests are showing around 1.4 Mbit download (though only 42 Kbit upload) speeds, but my average ping time to common sites (google, apple, msn, gamedev) is a little over 4 seconds!!! Does anyone know if this is normal?

Advertisement
Simply due to the physical distance and the speed of light your ping times will always be on the order of seconds.

Very helpful link, viblo!

The friends who own this connection asked me about installing a wireless network so that they could re-sell internet to their neighbours (including weekly packages for the short term rentals next door). I think having read that response (especially the bit about the buffer), that it would not be a good idea, do you agree?

Guest Anonymous Poster
Sounds like it would be a poor service in the end.

Not to mention most likely illegal. Every service I ever had came with this little clause that prohibits reselling bandwidth. Mind you, I do not know what your friend's terms of use are (of if he/she cares). I'm just letting you know in case no one read the fine print.

I know that Speakeasy don't mind if you share your connection -- I also know that most other ISPs do.

However, with 42 kbps upstream, it's unlikely that a whole lot of re-selling could happen, even with the multi-second latency.

Guest Anonymous Poster
hplus0603: Just out of curiosity I went to Speakeasy and looked at their terms and conditions (http://www.speakeasy.net/tos/) and found this under the section labelled "Moderations of Use"

The resale of residential-class services is strictly prohibited. Collection of service fees from third party customers on behalf of a Speakeasy residential-class service is allowed only if the primary account holder has subscribed to a service package defined by Speakeasy to promote connection sharing of any type. This includes but is not limited to both wireless and wired connection sharing.

The following paragraph mentions it is ok to use a hub and share the connection - but I would assume that does not apply to the reselling of services - just for your own use. There is a difference betwen sharing and (I quote) "so that they could re-sell internet to their neighbours".

Still, in any case, it's best that the person verifies such things themself - just to be sure.

Quote:
Collection of service fees from third party customers on behalf of a Speakeasy residential-class service is allowed only if the primary account holder has subscribed to a service package defined by Speakeasy to promote connection sharing of any type.

Yes, and if you call them up and say "me and my neighbor want to share a line..." they'll get you a subscription that allows sharing. I seem to remember an e-mail a year back or so that claimed you could get sharing on any existing account, but memory is fuzzy.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!