• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

What should my frame rate be?

This topic is 4254 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I have the book by Rob Penton Beginning Game Programming in C# and I ran one of the code examples (ch 7 sprites) that uses direct 3d to rotate one image on the screen. I put in a counter to see how many times the image is rendered to the screen and it is abour 60 X a second. Is this too slow or is this about right.

Advertisement
It's probably exactly where it should be. When creating a Direct3D device, there is a setting that you can specify that prevents you from drawing a frame before the vertical sync of the monitor. Since that is frequently set at a default 60 Hz, that means that you'll end up getting no more than 60 frames per second. This is generally a good thing, and increasing the complexity of your scene will probably have no affect at all on the frame rate. If it were allowed to run as fast as it wanted, it might be going at, oh, 600 frames a second, perhaps. Increasing the complexity of the scene by 6 might reduce the frame rate to 100 frames per second, but you'll still only be seeing 60, even though the scene is 6 times more complex.

I forget what the exact syntax is in Managed DirectX, but the stuff you're looking for is the presentation interval. An interval of immediate means to render as fast as you can. An interval of one means to render one frame per vertical sync.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement