• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
andez

Apps To Games

This topic is 4499 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hey all, I'm new to the site and it looks pretty cool. I've spent the last 7 years programming applications on the MS-Windows platforms in VB/VC++ (5 & 6) and now C# and VB.NET. I looked a DirectX (probably v7.0) a couple of years ago and never really got round to putting anything together. Mainly because a computer was the last thing I wanted to look at after a hard day in the office. Main question is, what is the main development tool for programming under Windows? What do most people use for professional games? I know there were a few professional games in VC++ written a while ago and I have seen a few performance issues with .NET. I'm only interested in writing games for self-satisfaction and just looking for a direction on this. Cheers Andez

Advertisement
Most games these days are built with C++. The most popular IDE that I've seen is Visual Studio.

If you are just doing it for personal satisfaction, why not increase your field of experience? Try Python and Pygame. Python is becoming very popular in web development (that I can see) and Pygame is a very powerful library for quickly putting together games.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!