• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
md_lasalle

Maximum portability

This topic is 4492 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hey all... I'm still working on my network layer and one question comes to mind : If I want to make sure linux / windows clients can communicate with each other, sending positions, velocities etc. Must I do something with the incoming data structs ( char* ) or the cast on the remote side will work if its composed only of floats,long and shorts ? I would like your opinion on what is the best way to stay crossplatform. Thanks !

Advertisement
Guest Anonymous Poster
Quote:
cast on the remote side will work if its composed only of floats,long and shorts ?

Theres a few things you need to take into account.
Struct padding :you need to make sure that the settings you use on the are the same or both the nix and win. This can be acheived using #pragma's (slighly different for win and nix so they are best guarded by defines)
Data type size: Floats and doubles are standard size yet longs and shorts are not, so you need to use the same data type ie. Uni8.

Other than this there should not be a problem.

Quote:
Original post by Anonymous Poster
Data type size: Floats and doubles are standard size yet longs and shorts are not, so you need to use the same data type ie. Uni8.

So if I send longs or shorts, what is the best way to do so ?

I think you're missing his point. It's not a question of whether you should use long or short - use neither. You need to use a type that has a well-defined size. e.g. the standard C99 header stdint.h defines types such as int16_t which is always a 16-bit integer, regardless of platform.

To illustrate, "long" is always 32-bit when using MSVC, but it is 32-bit in gcc when targeting 32-bit platforms and 64-bit when targeting 64-bit platforms.

Ok after I searched a bit, I found that I needed files for these types...

I downloaded inttypes.h stdint.h endian.h

but when I try to compile, it tell me type redefinition in io.h ... but if I only include io.h, i cant have types like int16_t

I'm on Windows by the way. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

fwiw this works for me on windows + linux

#ifdef _WIN32

typedef char int8;
typedef unsigned char uint8;
typedef short int16;
typedef unsigned short uint16;
typedef int int32;
typedef unsigned int uint32;
typedef __int64 int64;
typedef unsigned __int64 uint64;

#else

typedef char int8;
typedef unsigned char uint8;
typedef short int16;
typedef unsigned short uint16;
typedef int int32;
typedef unsigned int uint32;
typedef long long int64;
typedef unsigned long long uint64;

#endif

Guest Anonymous Poster
Lookup the functions named "ntohl()", "htonl()", "htons()" and "ntohs()".

Quote:
Original post by Anonymous Poster
Lookup the functions named "ntohl()", "htonl()", "htons()" and "ntohs()".

I know these functions, should I convert data to network byte order in my structs before sending them with winsock ? or by using types of the same size on both OS it should be ok ?

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!