• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Redierk

Integrating Gravitational Acceleration

This topic is 4495 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

[help]Here's what I'm trying to do- Given: Xo: the initial distance from the source of the gravitation Vo: the initial radial velocity Is there any way to use the following equation (the universal law of gravitation)
          M
A(X) = G ---
          X2
to solve for A(t), V(t), X(t)? When I tried, I started from
          M
A(t) = G ---
         X(t)2
and then I got stuck on the next step. I started that with
V(t) = Vo plus the indefinite integral of A(t)dt
                        and
X(t) = Xo plus the indefinite integral of V(t)dt
Is there any way I can continue? When I plugged in A(t) into the V(t) equation and attempted the integration, I made no progress. Can this be done exactly or will I be forced to use some sort of approximation technique [sad] [crying] [bawling] ?

Advertisement
A(t) = G M / X(t)^2
V(t) = Vo + A(t)*t
X(t) = Xo + V(t)*t + 1/2 A(t)*t^2

But, you likely need to do A(t-1) inorder to get answers from that, since it depends on X(t).
This is no different from any other acceleration. You just have a changing force.

Your equation can be rewritten like this:

d2y
y2 --- = gM
dx2
This is a second-order non-linear differential equation. It can't be solved by simple integration, but there are standard methods of solving certain second-order non-linear differential equations. I'll leave it at that for now. Good luck.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!