• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Alaric

OpenGL Help Loading a GE2

This topic is 4494 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi...I made a model of a horse in Maya and figured out how to turn it into a Game Exchange 2 file (an object file format for the N64, among other things....to those reading and wondering) and I've got an OpenGL shell that I'm trying to load it into. (Stripped down GLUT code that I use as a test environment...very basic) ...Anyway, I found all of the object data in the .gof file and it was kind of a mess. I couldn't understand their format for specifying points. At first I thought that all of the points were organized so that I was just going to have to submit them as a TRIANGLE_STRIP and be done with it....I was excited.....then I looked at it again.....my excitement waned. ...Somewhat short story even shorter, I went back to Maya, made a cube and sent it to a GE2 file so that I had something simpler to decipher the formatting with, and now I've come here to ask if anyone who has worked with the format can explain something to me. I do not understand why the 'segments' section is even included in the data. I see that I just need to load the point data into an array and then just index them when a face is defined as "0;3;2;1;" ....I just don't see any reason why I would need to store the line segments; it just seems kinda stupid to me.

Advertisement
edges can make sense for a modelling package that uses a winged-edge data structure. Sometimes they come in useful for shadow volume calculation, but in general, if you don't need them, you can skip them in your file.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!