The D language

Started by
90 comments, last by Nitage 17 years, 9 months ago
Quote:Original post by EasilyConfused
With regard to Lode's point about iterator names, I believe an 'auto' data type is being discussed for C++ that would derive its type from the right-hand side of its initialisation:

vector<int> v;
for(auto i=v.begin();i<v.end();++i)

// etc

Would obviously require an initialisation, like a reference, but would save a lot of typing. Does anyone know if this idea is still being bandied around for the next standard?

Actually the "auto" keyword lights up in my editor when using C++ highlighting, does this keyword have any meaning already in C++?
Advertisement
Yes, it's a storage class specifier meaning that the variable has automatic storage (i.e. is allocated on the stack). It's a pretty pointless keyword.
Quote:Original post by Lode
Actually the "auto" keyword lights up in my editor when using C++ highlighting, does this keyword have any meaning already in C++?
It is a remnant of the B language if I remember correctly. B required you use the auto keyword when declaring local variables. In C it was not required, but was left in for backwards compatibility. The proposal to add limited type inference into C++ reuses the auto keyword and gives it some purpose.
Well, auto is already a keyword but right now it does not do anything. (It used to be used to indicate a variable should be put on the stack, but that is already the default)
There is absolutely nothing wrong with learning another language. Anyone who thinks that broadening your horizons is a bad thing needs a clue-by-four upside the head. At the risk of overusing this somewhat stale analogy, all programming languages are simply tools in your toolbox. Sometimes a project will call for the gentle touch of a screwdriver; other times it will require high-grade explosive dynamite. Trying to hack through a mountain with a screwdriver is using the wrong tool for the job, so you want as many tools available to you as possible.

That said, learning another programming language is not a trivial endeavor (despite what those "Learn C++ In 21 Seconds!!!oneone~~!" books may tell you), if only for the reason that you don't have infinite reserves of time. You may be better served in terms of a career and as a problem-solver by choosing a language that is somewhat more mainstream, like C#, Java, or (dare I say it) Ruby.
- k2"Choose a job you love, and you'll never have to work a day in your life." — Confucius"Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will get you everywhere." — Albert Einstein"Money is the most egalitarian force in society. It confers power on whoever holds it." — Roger Starr{General Programming Forum FAQ} | {Blog/Journal} | {[email=kkaitan at gmail dot com]e-mail me[/email]} | {excellent webhosting}
Cute shopping list. Mine:
# A full, functional, compile-time programming language that generates the code to be compiled, integrated into the language.
# Nice syntax for both compile-time and run-time code.
# A better string paradigm than C++'s.
# input, output and input/output parameters
# Decoration of methods and objects (virtual shouldn't be a keyword -- it should be a decoration, implemented within the language)
# The ability to rebuild language constructs within the language. Ie, if the language supports virtual functions, it should be possible to implement virtual functors with a constant amount of framework effort.
# template-like programming that crosses compilation units
# The ability to make strong type-safe contracts at compile time
# The ability to work out what the machine-level code resulting from your actions is.
# Multi-threaded support embedded in the language. But see above: any multi threaded syntax must be reimplementable and modifiable by the programmers.

I want a language that lets me write and use code multipliers easily. I want to be able to write N lines of code and generate N^2 or N^10 or e^N lines of assembly, all determined at compile time. You can currently do this in C++ -- I'm not aware of any other language that lets you do this (other than languages where you simply reinvoke the compiler on generated output). And the syntax in C++ is ugly.

I have used D a couple of times, and these are the main things I have noticed:

Better arrays (and therefore strings) than C (but not as good as STL containers).
Garbage collection (not sure if this is a pro or a con).
Anemic standard library, particularly no templated linked-list (but the community could wheigh in on this one, and write one).
Very fast compiles (the same small project of mine compiles in less than 1/10 of the time written in D).
No support for dynamic libraries (and this is the deal breaker for me).

Tristam MacDonald. Ex-BigTech Software Engineer. Future farmer. [https://trist.am]

Quote:Original post by Red Ant
I'm reading up about the D language and what I've seen so far looks very promising. So far I've been mostly programming in C++ and Python and I love both languages (of course I realize that neither language is quite without flaws, but I still think they're both great languages). I've also had contact with Java, C# and Perl but didn't find them particularly appealing.

I'm using D quite a bit and have been for three years or so. I have a D Blog and I maintain a collection of C bindings for libraries like OpenGL, SDL, OpenAL, and more over at dsource.org. I know of at least one commercial C++ game project that being converted to D right now, but that's the only commercial app I know of at this time.

D is still in development and is getting better with each release. There are warts, of course, particularly with some things not working as intended. Overall it's a pleasure to work with.

In the three years I've been using the language I've noticed that there tends to be two types of people who give D a look: the ones who glance through the docs and dismiss it offhand as inferior to C++/Java/ or wherever they are coming from, and the ones who actually dig in and try it out. The former aren't going to like anything new no matter how great it is. The latter are looking for alternatives and are generally happy with what they have found in D. I don't take much stock in the comments people make based on what they have read in the documentation. They have no idea what they are talking about until they have actually typed enough D code to get a feel for it. It's like the people who say, "Java is slow" - they are clueless.

Quote:Original post by Red Ant
D seems to aim at providing a 'better C++' sort of.

It's not trying to be a "better C++". It's trying to be a "better language" in general. It incorporates ideas from a broad spectrum. I think that it largely succeeds, but there are some kinks yet to work out.

Most of the ideas came from Walter's 20+ years experience of writing C++ compilers. One of his major goals for D is that it not only be easy for programmers to use, but also for compilers to parse. Decisions on syntax and features are always made with that in mind. A D compiler is much easier (and cheaper) to put together than a C++ compiler.

Quote:Original post by Red AntAre folks here using D a lot?

Few in the GDNet crowd tend to use anything outside of C++, though I seem to have noticed an increase in C# posts in recent months. I don't expect many people around here to bother with D for a long while yet.

Quote:Do they think D has a future?

I think it does. And so does the D community at large. If we didn't, we wouldn't be using it.

Quote: Apart from the fact that it's always good to learn new things, is there a reasonable chance that D will become an important language to know?

Walter Bright has been around C++ circles for over 20 years. In that time, he has built up quite a list of contacts. Big names in the C++ world, such as Scott Myers, Andrei Alexandrescu, Bruce Eckel, and Matthew Wilson, for example. Some of D's design was inspired from the ideas of, or discussions with, such people. Walter still has ongoing debates and discussions with them on the D way, both privately and publicly (some of the discussions you can see at comp.lang.C++).

Whether or not this means D will be 'important' remains to be seen. The problem is that it fills a strange niche that is somewhere between managed languages (Java, C#) and systems languages (C++, C). It offers many benefits over C++ and C, and can interface cleanly with legacy C code, but it remains to be seen if it's enough to convince a technical mangager that he should switch his codebase from C++ to D. And while I think D is much more pleasant even than Java, I don't think D is even going to be considered much by that market. The VM makes things like reflection, dynamic instantiation and some other features easier to implement than in a compiled language. D has none of that (though Walter has said relflection is something he wants to add down the road).

Whether it becomes important or not, there's nothing wrong with learning to use it. Programming in D has actually helped me to become a better C++ programmer. So even if I never use the language outside of my little hobby projects, it has still been worth learning.
A couple of years ago I also looked at D thinking that it would The Next Big Thing TM. What I found was that although the language seemed nice, there simply isn't the userbase there to support you if you need it. Think of C#, it is sponsored by one of the biggest companies in the world and millions of businesses are using it daily, investing money, time and effort into learning it, writing about it and using it. Open Source projects have sprung up to wrap commonly used libraries for Game Developers (OGRE, Irrlicht, SDL, Lua, OpenGL and many many more). These are supported and in use by many hobby projects, often these ports or wrappers are supported officially by the teams behind the original libraries.

When you look at D you see a potentially capable language that has many nice features, however does it truly have the support network there for you to work effectively? Will you be able to turn to a multitude of books or online resources to solve your problem quickly, or will you have to puzzle over it for days and/or be at the mercy of the original language implementor to answer your query (as an aside, I find the language author a little arrogant after swapping a few emails with him a while back). If you wanted to quickly make your game, you will probably find that the common libraries aren't wrapped for you, or they are partially implemented as a toy project for someone else who looked at D a few years back and thought how great it was, then changed their mind leaving the library/wrapper unfinished.

I guess what I'm saying is that if you want to use D, don't expect an easy ride and the extra effort you'll put into making libraries and other things work will most likely exceed the time and effort saved by the 'extensions' provided by the language.

Quote:Original post by swiftcoderBetter arrays (and therefore strings) than C (but not as good as STL containers).

Most of the container implementations I have seen in D are implemented on top of D arrays to enhance them, not replace them. D's dynamic arrays are so flexible that they can be used as vectors, stacks, queues, maps and even trees with very little effort. Most people do tend to wrap up that functionality and templatize it. I just don't see STL containers as being any better. I guess it's just a matter of what people are used to. Some D users have implemented STL-like libraries, others have implemented something modelled after Java's collection framework.

Quote:Garbage collection (not sure if this is a pro or a con).

Ultimately it's a pro. Right now, it's iffy. The current implementation gets the job done but it is by no means optimized. This will (hopefully) be remedied before a 1.0 release. But D does give you the ability to bypass the GC completely.

Quote:Anemic standard library, particularly no templated linked-list (but the community could wheigh in on this one, and write one).

A lot of people point to this as a deficiency. The library has a long way to go, for sure. But for now, Walter's focus is on stabilizing the implementation and the spec and crushing bugs. The library has been discussed multiple times on the NG and will get an overhaul before 1.0. Even so, there is already an alternative, community-driven, standard library called Ares.

Quote:Very fast compiles (the same small project of mine compiles in less than 1/10 of the time written in D).

What's really cool about that is when you use Derek Parnell's Build to compile your project. I've never seen a simpler or faster compiler tool chain for any language.

Quote:No support for dynamic libraries (and this is the deal breaker for me).

D has had support for DLLs for several compiler versions now. Initially, the implementation required that each DLL have its own GC, but that has been remedied. I'm not sure where the shared library support stands on Linux right now, though.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement