Terrain-Engine

Started by
3 comments, last by ThamasTah 23 years ago
Hey folks! I''ve been coding OGL for a few weeks now (this site''s been a huge help! Way to go Nehe!). I''ve written a terrain engine -just the graphics for now, mind you. I don''t won''t to sound arrogant or anything, but thing is: it looks great! It really does... Okay, back to earth now for me. Current status: It is heightmap-based. Loaded from a greyscape TGA. It is texture-mapped with a texture loaded from a 24-bit TGA. It calculates terrain-shadow in real-time (with variable sun-angle). The shadows really look kewl, and this whole thingy runs in 10fps on a Pentium200 in 320x240. That includes calculating the shadow each frame. (This might not sound much to you, but I''m used to VisualBasic ) Why do I post this here? I''d like to release the source and write a tutorial about it. I used to code VB and have written quite a few tutorials which were well-received. That would serve a dual purpose: I need some OGL experience; you could use the algos. Any interest in a tutorial on it?
Advertisement
DEFINATELY!!!

If I was you, though, I''d release a series of tutorials for it. Putting it all in one big tutorial might be a bit much for some people to swallow.

I''d especially like to see how you work your real-time shadows based on the angle of the sun.

Anyway, just thought I''d say... definate interest in a tutorial from me.

~Cobra~
"Build a man a fire, and he will be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he will have warmth for the rest of his life"
YEAH ! I think you should release it!
As Cobra, just split it in many parts to explain well each steps.
This would be really great.

Bye!
I''ve written the first part now. I''m not sure about how much should explain though. Well, I''ll just have to release stuff and see if I get complaints Shouldn''t be too hard...

Since I have no website, would it be okay if I mail this to Nehe?
Tutorials on terrains would be supreme!

I am trying to figure out of this topic myself,
and i really miss good tutorials on it.

(The ones i have found, use only pseudo....)

If you feel like it, check out my site...
Area 52

Just started, so it''s not much yet, but hopefully it will continue only one way, and thats not down!!!

Happy coding...

- -- ---[XaOs]--- -- -
- -- ---[XaOs]--- -- -[ Project fy ||| CyberTux ]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement