Noah's Ark Found?

Started by
2,524 comments, last by Andrew Russell 17 years, 8 months ago
http://articles.news.aol.com/news/_a/has-noahs-ark-been-found/20060629173309990001?cid=2194 I'm not going to rush out and say that this is Noah's Ark. But if it's not, why is a petrified piece of wood the size of an aircraft carrier sitting 13,000 feet up on a mountain? What do you nonbelievers think this is? And if after further study we see that it is the same dimension and layout as the boat in the bible, would you be willing to accept that it is Noah's Ark? Please not another Dinosaur thread.
Advertisement
I thought it was supposed to have been found on Mount Ararat in Turkey

I guess it could be the Ark, but either way I believe the story of Noah to be fact and these findings have neither increased or decreased that belief [smile]
Richard 'ViLiO' Thomasv.net | Twitter | YouTube
Quote:Original post by ViLiO
I thought it was supposed to have been found on Mount Ararat in Turkey

I guess it could be the Ark, but either way I believe the story of Noah to be fact and these findings have neither increased or decreased that belief [smile]

That's what I thought, but then again maybe he had a whole fleet of arks, personally I think it's much more likely that each animal had their own canoe.
Quote:Original post by ChurchSkiz
What do you nonbelievers think this is?

A petrified piece of wood 13 000 feet up in a mountain?

Bias is a form of ill thought. How exactly are we supposed to verify/disprove that it is an/the Ark? The dimensions? Wouldn't someone else, say, an army, have another boat just like it?

This is probably going to be another screaming match like the Shroud of Turin controversy (I think a couple people still believe it to be real [rolleyes]) and the other Biblical artifacts that have been used to scam people throughout the ages (such as that "James box" that was found a couple months back).
"Bible Archaeology Search and Exploration (B.A.S.E) Institute"

Not at all biased. *sheesh*

Some people will believe anything:

Quote:
What do you think about the story of Noah's Ark?
It's fact 69%
It's fiction 31%
Total Votes: 200,944

70%? No doubt the same people who know evolution is false.

$10 says this will go right up there with every other Noahs Ark hoax ever perpetrated by desperate theologians.
This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine. My signature is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life. My signature, without me, is useless. Without my signature, I am useless.
EVEN if we suppose for a second that it is the "Ark" are you sure its the Christian one:

Mesopotamian flood stories
Well the old findings in Turkey were harder to verify because no one can go up there. This site can be verified, hiked too, and up close pictures can be taken. I mean even in the article they have a closeup.

So although it may or may not be the ark, at least it can be researched and refuted from both sides.

And the bias goes both ways.

Ravuya, wouldn't a piece of wood the size of an aircraft carrier 13,000 feet high be a little suspect? It surely isn't natural and I doubt anyone would spend the effort to haul it up there.

One would verify it being the Ark because the bible records exact descriptions of dimensions and layout. Also, since the wood is old and petrified, it's not like you could build one up there and then "pretend" to find it like the James Box. Also, it's size and weight prevents it from being moved up there. So realistically, either it is a boat that floated up there some time ago, or it is something else entirely (maybe an old building or something?)

If it is found to be a boat of any kind, one has to ask the question: How would anyone know in advance that a massive flood was coming giving them enough time to build such a massive structure?
Once as a child, in bed, desperately trying to sleep the night through as quickly as possible as it was christmas the next morning, I was disturbed by the sound of creaking floorboards. I rolled over and opened by blurry eyes to be confronted with the sight of the dim light bleeding through the door cracks making out the silohette of Santa Claws. I couldn't beleive it, there he was stading in my room watching me, presumably delivering my presents. I lept out of bed in joy and flicked on the light only to discover that Santa Claws was infact just a stack of boxes with a sheet thrown over them which my Mum had put in my room whilst she cleaned out the loft.

Ok so that was purely fictional but I made it up to prove a point. With me being a child as so excited about it being christmas I was so desperate to find Santa Claws that I 'found' him. This Noah's ark story has the same scent all over it. A bunch of christian archeoligists go out looking for biblical proof and find a large deposit of what appears to be old wood. To say this is Noah's ark is so far fetched its just as silly as me thinking Santa Claws was in my room, but yet they're so desperate to believe and find proof that they've convinced themselves otherwise.
[size="1"] [size="4"]:: SHMUP-DEV ::
Quote:Original post by Mithrandir
Some people will believe anything:

Quote:
What do you think about the story of Noah's Ark?
It's fact 69%
It's fiction 31%
Total Votes: 200,944

70%? No doubt the same people who know evolution is false.

Yep - this shocked me as well. There is not enough water in the world for it to rain 40 days and 40 nights and flood every part of the world.

I wish people would stop taking the Bible literally - then we wouldn't have so much anti-science in the world.

Quote:Original post by ChurchSkiz
Ravuya, wouldn't a piece of wood the size of an aircraft carrier 13,000 feet high be a little suspect? It surely isn't natural and I doubt anyone would spend the effort to haul it up there.

Well, let's go study it.

"Hey, there's an enormous pile of really old wood over there. It must be the Ark!" is not study.

I'm not even sure if a wooden boat that size is feasible from an engineering perspective. How big is an aircraft carrier anyway?

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement