• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
ChurchSkiz

Noah's Ark Found?

This topic is 4605 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Quote:
Original post by ChurchSkiz
I'm not going to rush out and say that this is Noah's Ark. But if it's not, why is a petrified piece of wood the size of an aircraft carrier sitting 13,000 feet up on a mountain?

Who knows? Maybe if we get some real archaeologists to look at it we might be able to find out some useful information. I'm not sure how much I trust these guys to do a proper objective study of this.

Quote:
What do you nonbelievers think this is? And if after further study we see that it is the same dimension and layout as the boat in the bible, would you be willing to accept that it is Noah's Ark? Please not another Dinosaur thread.

It doesn't bother me in the slightest. It's highly probable that the flood was based on real events. It's only the literal interpretation of the flood story that is patently ridiculous. The truth behind it is probably a hell of a lot more mundane than the exaggerated version in genesis.

Quote:

"There's this idea, if we can prove that the ark existed then we can prove that the story existed, and more importantly, we can prove that God existed," said Bruce Feiler, author of "Where God Was Born."

Not too bright this one.

Advertisement
Quote:
Original post by Ravuya
I'm not even sure if a wooden boat that size is feasible from an engineering perspective. How big is an aircraft carrier anyway?

450 feet long, 45 feet high, 75 feet wide.

Engineering wise, I believe they've made models of the ark given the dimensions and they were found to be sea-worthy.

If you've ever been to the mountains you know that 13,000 feet is way above treeline. So it is an interesting find regardless of what it turns out to be.

Quote:
Original post by ChurchSkiz
Quote:
Original post by Ravuya
I'm not even sure if a wooden boat that size is feasible from an engineering perspective. How big is an aircraft carrier anyway?

450 feet long, 45 feet high, 75 feet wide.

Engineering wise, I believe they've made models of the ark given the dimensions and they were found to be sea-worthy.

Hrm. Lemme convert that to meters and I'll see if I can do some back-of-the-envelope physics. Do they know what kind of wood it is?

13,000 feet above sea level, means the flood must have covered 13,000 feet above sea level.

Volume of a sphere = 4/3 pi r^3

Earth mean radius = 6,372,797 m
13,000 ft = 3,962 m

volume of earth = 4/3 pi * 6,372,797^3 =
1,084,123,761,257,676,342,855 cubic meters.

volume of earth + 3,962m of water =
4/3 pi * 6376759^3 =
1,086,147,034,227,515,190,954 cubic meters.

volume of 3,962m of water =

1,086,147,034,227,515,190,954 cubic meters -
1,084,123,761,257,676,342,855 cubic meters =

2,023,272,969,838,848,099 cubic meters.

1 cubic meter = 1000 litres.

= 2,023,272,969,838,848,099,000 litres

3.785 litres = 1 gallon

= 534,550,322,282,390,514,927 gallons of water.

yes, 534 QUINTRILLION gallons.

Now that I've done all these calculations, I realised that I cannot find any water statistics in gallons, so I have to redo them in cubic kilometers:

Earth mean radius = 6,372.797 km
13,000 ft = 3.962 km

4/3 pi * 6,372.797^3 = 1,084,123,761,257.676 km^3
4/3 pi * 6,376.759^3 = 1,086,147,034,227.515 km^3

V = 1,086,147,034,227.515 - 1,084,123,761,257.676 = 2,023,272,969.839 km^3,

or 2 billion cubic kilometers of water.

The sum total of water on this planet right now is 1.37 × 10^9 km^3,

or 1,370,000,000 km^3.

1.3 billion.

So, the amount of water on the planet magically increased in size by 250% for 40 days, then just disappeared?

riiiight.

Where did it come from, where did it go?

Oh, right. Invisible imaginary dude in the sky did it.

Quote:
Original post by Ravuya
Do they know what kind of wood it is?

gopher wood. No-one knows what that is though.

Quote:
Original post by Sandman

How do they know it's gopher wood then?

Quote:
Original post by Sandman
It doesn't bother me in the slightest. It's highly probable that the flood was based on real events. It's only the literal interpretation of the flood story that is patently ridiculous. The truth behind it is probably a hell of a lot more mundane than the exaggerated version in genesis.

Exactly. All early civilizations have a flood myth. All early civilizations started next to volatile rivers and flood plains, since that was the only area humans could cultivate without knowing much about how to cultivate crops. Flood plains tend to flood, hence the name.

It's not surprising that the myth exists in almost every culture.

Quote:

Quote:

"There's this idea, if we can prove that the ark existed then we can prove that the story existed, and more importantly, we can prove that God existed," said Bruce Feiler, author of "Where God Was Born."

Not too bright this one.

I thought the whole point of faith was that you shouldn't have to prove it in the first place (you know, since you really can't anyways).

Quote:
Original post by Ravuya
Quote:
Original post by Sandman

That's what the bible says the ark is made of.

Quote:
Original post by Sandman
Quote:
Original post by Ravuya
Quote:
Original post by Sandman

That's what the bible says the ark is made of.

Well, that's conveniently unverifiable. I wonder what kind of wood this big chunk of Persian wood is.

This topic is 4605 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.