Basic C++ question

Started by
6 comments, last by Kuladus 17 years, 9 months ago
Back from a month-long break and just refreshing up on my C++ beginner knowledge. Question: Is, ClassType var; the same as, ClassType var = ClassType();? Thanks, - xeddiex
one..
Advertisement
Yes.

Note that neither is possible if there is no no-arg constructor (i.e., a constructor is defined that requires at least one argument, and there is *not* a constructor defined that could take no arguments. Without any constructors, of course, the language will generate a no-arg constructor for you.)
Thanks for the prompt reply, Zahlman. Another question: Does invoking the class name itself (.. ClassType() ..) make the compiler emit code to create a temp object and pass it as a pointer/ref to the ctor for initialization?

Last question: What really is the difference between, ClassType var; and, ClassType var();?

- xeddiex
one..
for custom types there is NO difference. For POD types (int, short, etc) then the second version I believe initializes the type to the default value (zero) ... but I'm not 100% of that cause I never use it that way.
Quote:Original post by Xai
For POD types (int, short, etc) then the second version I believe initializes the type to the default value (zero) ... but I'm not 100% of that cause I never use it that way.

int i();

.. declares a function.
Quote:Original post by Kuladus
int i();

.. declares a function.

He means somthing like int i = int();
ClassType var = ClassType();

Will require that the copy constructor be accesible (e.g. not private if being called outside the class' code). Also, a(n extremely) dumb compiler can legitimately create a temporary with the default constructor and copy construct var from that temporary. Most compilers are not that dumb and will just default initialize var.
Quote:Original post by jflanglois
Quote:Original post by Kuladus
int i();

.. declares a function.

He means somthing like int i = int();

I was answering this question:

Quote:
Last question: What really is the difference between, ClassType var; and, ClassType var();?

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement